Uh... Froze my lager in secondary...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Jewbeard

Reaction score
So my Sanyo mini-fridge apparently does not have a setting to leave the temps in the mid-30s. You can only go to about 40F, or the mid 20s.

I did not know this, and in trying to find the magic mean, I accidentally froze my carboy.

Solid.

So... what do I do now? Will the beer recover? Are the yeast dead?

1) Is it worth continuing to lager any more with this batch, or have I hosed the yeast altogether?

2) If my yeast are now frozen to death, can I pitch a new vial of yeast before bottling?

So my Sanyo mini-fridge apparently does not have a setting to leave the temps in the mid-30s. You can only go to about 40F, or the mid 20s.

I did not know this, and in trying to find the magic mean, I accidentally froze my carboy.

Solid.

So... what do I do now? Will the beer recover? Are the yeast dead?

1) Is it worth continuing to lager any more with this batch, or have I hosed the yeast altogether?

2) If my yeast are now frozen to death, can I pitch a new vial of yeast before bottling?

A temperature controller will be a good investment for you.

The yeast weren't doing anything for you in terms of lagering once you got beneath the temperature at which they become dormant (in the low-to-mid 40s for most lager strains). Your only concern might be their viability if you were going to bottle condition. Rehydrating some dry yeast and adding it to your bottling bucket can address this.

i recently froze a lager, slowly thawed it then kegged. it was ok and people liked it but i didn't, ended up dumping about half of it.

Back