Unseasonable warmth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCougfan97

Reaction score
So Seattle got some record highs for may and now my once cool dark basement is pushing 70 during the day. Is my beer going to be ruined if the recipe calls for 60 degree fermentation? It did have a week after brewing where things were fermenting and bubbling wildly before the heat wave.

Nah, that's great. I usually push temps up to 70 at the tail end of fermentation to help it finish & metabolize byproducts. No worries.

It's really only the first day or two that's really critical.

Ok great thanks.

I was thinking of building a fermentation chamber as a result of all this heat. Will I do just as well to simply watch the forecast and ensure I am not fermenting for the first few days during heat waves? Or is there some benefit to be had by maintaining consistent temperatures throughout?

Slowly warming is fine. It's tons of fluctuations you want to avoid. For 90%+ of my beers I hold in the low 60's for the first few days, then ramp it up to ~70ish as fermentation slows.

I use a fermentation chamber, but a lot of folks use "swamp coolers" with great success.

Back