I think I drowned my yeasties last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teruyaki

Reaction score
So last night I pitched 2 packets of us-05 in my shaken wort. Then, out of habit that I normally do with liquid yeast, I shook the bucket. I stopped shaking quickly as I realized what I was doing, but is it too late? Did i drown my yeasties? The og is 1.082 in 5.5 gallons...my lhbs doesn't open till Tuesday so I can't repitch until at least then. Chances fermentation actually starts and finishes properly?

Thanks for any advice!

Two packets? Sounds like you probably overpitched, to me.

No, you didn't drown them. It'll be fine.

How would yeast metabolize the beer if they couldn't get wet in the process?

Thanks, guys. I remember reading somewhere that the dry yeast needs to gradually rehydrate before total immersion in high gravity wort because the high sugar content will overwhelm them. Feel reassured now.

By totally rehydrate they mean per package directions rehydrating with warm water for 10 minutes or so. Apparently if you rehydrate with wort over water you injure/stress the yeast. Even with wort rehydrating you should have way more yeast than you need so you should be fine.

You can rehydrate them by pouring the dry yeast packet into a cup of warm (~80-90F) water with a little bit of sugar as per the directions on the back of some packets. Certain brands don't want you to rehydrate first but others apparently do - it depends on if the makers integrated the yeast's initial food supplies or not.

Even if you shock/kill a big chunk of the yeast, a typical dry pack has way more yeast than you need for a five gallon batch. Two packs? Yeah, you're more than fine.

You'll be fine.

Next time, instead of pitching 2 packs of dry yeast directly into the wort, properly rehydrate one pack (in 100*F tap water) and you'll end up with about the same number of live cells.

Thanks, guys. I remember reading somewhere that the dry yeast needs to gradually rehydrate before total immersion in high gravity wort because the high sugar content will overwhelm them. Feel reassured now.

Yes, that's true. But they'll still be fine.

When I just sprinkle, and don't rehydrate, I try to remember to let the yeast sit on the foam (after aerating) and to not stir them in. I do the same with my wine yeast. But I've moved the fermenters shortly after that, and not had any issues at all. I think you're just fine.

Back