Have you ever.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PackerfaninSanDiego said:
removed all labels from a commercial beer and served it to others, with them thinking it's one of your own?

No, never even thought of it , until now haha

Why? Thats just screwed up both ways. Who would want to take credit for something that they had absolutely nothing to do with.

not on purpose. I bought a bunch of O'Dells 90 Schilling for a fishing trip. I ended up drinking a bunch of ESB instead. the labels started coming off in the ice water in my cooler. so I finished scraping & loaded them in my old beer fridge when I got home. the next week I had some friends over for after bar beers. my brother Kieth grabbed one out of the fridge & told me how awesome the Scottish Ale I brewed was. it took me a few seconds to remember (since we all had the one or two odd drinks that night) that I didn't brew any Scottish Ale.

I would never do it but I think it would be an interesting experiment to enter them into a comp. Take a classic style and remove all labels and even put on a different cap. My feeling is that it would prove just how fickle comps can be when a "classic beer" doesn't do win or even do very well.

No, but I've done the opposite to mess with some friends. Filled a commercial beer bottle with homebrew to see if they could tell the difference. They didn't notice, but I'm not sure what that says. Is my beer really good or are my friends just dumb?

I would never do it but I think it would be an interesting experiment to enter them into a comp. Take a classic style and remove all labels and even put on a different cap. My feeling is that it would prove just how fickle comps can be when a "classic beer" doesn't do win or even do very well.

It has been done, but from the other angel. Ranfurly was/is a horrible beer and the cheapest-piss-in-the -supermarket comment is well deserved. From my youth I remember one mate claimng it tasted like toast (not in a good way) and passing it off on a mates brother as an awesome beer becasue it came in 440ml cans!
Read what happened when the rebranded beer was entered into NZ national homebrew compitition - http://nzbeerblog.com/2010/11/14/commercial-beer-scores-1150-in-national-homebrew-comps/

I'm going back to Wisconsin end of July. Both of my bros are Miller Lite drinkers(not me).....was thinkin about putting a ML in one of my bottles or putting one of my yellow fizzy beers in a ML bottle

Lazarous said:
No, but I've done the opposite to mess with some friends. Filled a commercial beer bottle with homebrew to see if they could tell the difference. They didn't notice, but I'm not sure what that says. Is my beer really good or are my friends just dumb?

I did this with a keg of SNPA clone when my wife's friends came to visit for her 30th birthday. They all went to school at Chico State and I had them fooled the whole first day of the visit :)

Back