Calculating water volume for no sparge brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehardt

Reaction score
I am interested in attempting an all grain batch using the no sparge brewing technique.

If I increase the grain bill by 20% to account for the lower efficiency associated with no sparge brewing, the grain bill will be 16.8 lbs. The mash temp should be 156. I have a large enough mash tun.

I have no idea how to calculate the amount of strike water. Does anyone know of a way to calculate the amount and temp of the strike water?

Does anyone with experience with no sparge brewing know of anything else I should be aware of, or see anything wrong with my logic (or lack of it)?

Thanks

Try BrewersFriend.com. I think there's a mash efficiency calculator you could use to figure the no sparge extract. I also use the strike water calculator at Brew365.com, though I think there's one at the first link as well.

Figure your grain absorption amount add it to your amount left in your tun and add what you want into the boil pot for your boil.

As far as the temp goes I just used a online calculator and entered all the water as strike water and got the temp from that. I came in a little low so I drained a little off and boiled it and added it back in.

20 percent seems kind of high to me. with a 9 pound grain bill I added a extra half pound of base grain and hit my numbers right on. So instead of 9 pounds I used 9.5 pounds of grain.

I like doing a no sparge mash myself and I am thinking I will not go back to sparging.

Back