3 Gallon BIAB Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm probably going to be sorry I asked this- but if you want to make a 5 gallon batch, why not order a 5 gallon AG kit? They have tons of them, and their kits are really well made. It would be cheaper too. As an example, a 3 gallon kit of kolsch is $15.99, but a 5 gallon kit is $24.99.

hey Yooper. I have yet to go to AG..yes I am a dummy, so what is the difference? I do have a 10 gallon mash tun (have yet to use it) Oh BTW, I picked up Homebrewing for Dummies last weekend

How big is your brew pot?

I have some 2.5/3 gallon fermenters and I just find a 5 or 5.5 gallon recipe and let beersmith worry about scaling it for me. Then I go to the LHBS and buy whatever I need. Like a DIY all grain kit.

I did BIAB with a dunk sparge using two four gallon pots on the stove over the winter It worked fine. I wanted to AG and not have to mess with any extract, but I live in Wisconsin so I wanted to stay indoors. You know:D

Go Pack Go!

hey Yooper. I have yet to go to AG..yes I am a dummy, so what is the difference? I do have a 10 gallon mash tun (have yet to use it) Oh BTW, I picked up Homebrewing for Dummies last weekend

Well, you can do all-grain with BIAB whether you're making 1, 3, 5, 6, 10, etc gallons. It's just that Brew in a Bag often lets people with smaller pots and no mash tun do it in a bag. But you can use a cooler, or a bag (or more than one bag if the grain doesn't fit in one bag), or a keg, or whatever to mash in.

A long time ago, I did my first partial mashes and later full mashes in my bottling bucket lined with a mesh bag. I didn't know it then, but that made me an early pioneer of BIAB I guess! :D

BIAB is just one method of all grain brewing. You can BIAB and batch sparge, fly sparge or no sparge. Or you can use a mash tun and batch sparge, fly sparge, or no sparge. It's just another way to utilize what you have to make beer.

Back