Better crush on steeping grains ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BxBrewer

Reaction score
Seems like my steeping grains do not come crushed as much as i would like. I bought a corona mill. Just wondering if any one out there goes with a finer crush to get more flavor ? All of my steeping grains come crushed. But is seems like 25% is crushed and 75% seems like whole grains.

The amount of flavor you get out of the grains depends on the water getting to the center of the kernel and leaching the flavors back out. They have to be crushed well to get that water in. Another factor is how compacted the crushed grains are when steeping. The muslin bags seem to be pretty tight. I'd go with a nylon paint strainer bag for steeping now that I have learned about them instead of the muslin bags.

Now that you have the Corona mill and I've mentioned the paint strainer bags, you might want to consider going all grain BIAB. It doesn't take much more time than extract with steeping grains and the most difficult part is getting the temperature right for mashing.

The crush doesn't always destroy the husk; as long as the kernel inside crushed you're good. Sometimes the kernel crushes and the outer husk splits but returns to its original shape making it look like it wasn't crushed at all. This is normal. Keep in mind that you want your grains CRUSHED, not GROUND. Check some of those kernels you think aren't crushed next time more closely and see if what I'm talking about is what's happening...

Back