Hop Bottom Leaves Turning Yellow, Top Part Dying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geobotsar

Reaction score
Hi, i planted a couple of months ago 5 hop rhizomes in my yard.
One of them i planted near a tree with the thought that it would climb up the tree. I put about a meter of a rope to help it climb the tree and continue from there. Until recently the plant has been growing. When it reached the tree the top part of the plant turned brown and dried, and now the bottom leaves started turning yellow. I have been watering the plant every a couple of days.
I read something about iron defficiency so i went and put some fertilizer today.
Should i take out the rhizome and plant it somewhere else, should i leave it there with the hope to resurrect, or should i consider it dead and let it be?:)
Thanks

Hi, i planted a couple of months ago 5 hop rhizomes in my yard.
One of them i planted near a tree with the thought that it would climb up the tree. I put about a meter of a rope to help it climb the tree and continue from there. Until recently the plant has been growing. When it reached the tree the top part of the plant turned brown and dried, and now the bottom leaves started turning yellow. I have been watering the plant every a couple of days.
I read something about iron defficiency so i went and put some fertilizer today.
Should i take out the rhizome and plant it somewhere else, should i leave it there with the hope to resurrect, or should i consider it dead and let it be?:)
Thanks

I don't think it explains the yellowing or the drying out of the top of the hop plant, but depending on the exact orientation and type of tree you are trying to get it to grow up, it might have problems with not getting enough light. Also, depending on how mature the tree is and how close the hops are planted to the base, the root systems might interfere with each other.

What kind of tree would this be that isn't eventually going to totally shade a hop plant growing thereunder?

Beyond that, there are tree species that will defend their turf and will literally kill anything under it through chemical warfare...

Cheers!

To quote a plant site: Yellow leaves are a common symptom. There are multiple causes including too little water, inadequate light, excess fertilizer, insects, too much light, disease or chlorides in the water

Thanks for you replies everyone. The plant is almost a feet next to the tree so maybe this is the problem. The tree is something like a fern(its leaves) and its about 12 feet tall. I dont think the rope is the problem since i used it in the other hop plants and they dont have a problem. And its not just the yellow leaves, the top part of the hop plant(that was growing) got brown and died. The plant is not growing any more,

Back