Harvesting the bugs from a dregs starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuntzBrewing

Reaction score
I have grown up some dregs from jolly pumpkin bam biêre and fuego del ontoño. One bottle was from fall 2012 but bam was from dec/2011. Only expected a pellicle to form but it actually started a strong yeast fermentation. I wouldn't imagine they bottle the beer with their normal strain but probably a secondary yeast which I don't really want. If I skim off the pellicle will that have viable bugs in it w/o the yeast. Or does it really matter whether that yeast gets into my beer or not. This is my first "wild" brew

I've used JP dregs before, tends to sour pretty quickly. I wouldn't worry about the yeast I'd just pitch it as normal without the pellicle.

I don't think JP uses a different bottling yeast. Why bother, it just becomes an additional yeast they have to culture and keep pure. The sacc yeast is either WLP550 or T-33. I think they changed sometime in the last couple of years from 550 to 33.

I wouldn't worry about separating the yeast.

Calder said:
I don't think JP uses a different bottling yeast. Why bother, it just becomes an additional yeast they have to culture and keep pure. The sacc yeast is either WLP550 or T-33. I think they changed sometime in the last couple of years from 550 to 33.

I wouldn't worry about separating the yeast.

Where'd you hear about the yeast change? Jeffries talks about having a house version of 550 banked in the CYBI interviews, but those are a few years old.

Latest posts

Back