Critique my house IPA recipe please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaylord

Reaction score
Good evening all!

I've been brewing for about 18 months now, and have mostly copied recipes off this site, Haus Pale Ale, etc. I have Beersmith and LOVE IPA's and am trying to design my own house IPA.

I'm looking for something...well delicious! I love pretty much all IPA's so I don't have any preferences. I do have a pound of Amarillo though so I'd like to include that in the recipe.

Any and all critique would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

OG: 1.066
IBU: 76
Color: 8.8
ABV: 6.5%

11 lbs 2 row
12 oz Crystal 40
1 lb Carapils
1 lb Munich
4 oz Honey Malt

.75 oz Magnum @ 60 min
1 oz Amarillo @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial @ 15 min
1 oz Amarillo @ 5 min
1 oz Centennial @ 5 min

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 1L starter.

Would this IPA be too sweet, have I balanced it correctly, and will the hops mesh well together?

Thank you!

Looks pretty tasty to me!
One of my IPA's has a similar hop schedule, but I use citra instead of centennial.
My grain bill is a little more simple.
With 2 row, c60 and a touch of honey malt.
Brew it up and see what ya think!
I personally would drop the carapils.

Looks good to me, I love warrior as a bittering hop though. You should consider a 90 minute boil, to drive off any dms in a lighter color beer like this. I would move the 5 minute additions to flame out, and consider doing a dry hop addition, you could stick with the same hops, or do cascade or citra

Looks tasty! You certainly haven't overdone the crystal, should be a nice malt backbone to support the hops. Only thing I would change is to maybe whirlpool one or both of the five minute additions for a big hop nose. Just toss em in at flameout and stir em up every couple of minutes for 15-20 minutes before you chill. I just did thus with an Amber and the smell coming out of that carboy was hoppy heaven for the first couple of days. Might toss in some Amarillo for dry hops a few days before bottling just for sh!ts and giggles! Brew it up and let us know how it turns out. Hell. I might brew it up and taste for myself!

Looks good to me, I love warrior as a bittering hop though. You should consider a 90 minute boil, to drive off any dms in a lighter color beer like this. I would move the 5 minute additions to flame out, and consider doing a dry hop addition, you could stick with the same hops, or do cascade or citra

Beat me to it! But I don't think he will have to worry about DMS using 2-row. Pilsner, definitely bump the boil.

If for no other reason, it allows time to drink another home brew

Looks tasty! You certainly haven't overdone the crystal, should be a nice malt backbone to support the hops. Only thing I would change is to maybe whirlpool one or both of the five minute additions for a big hop nose. Just toss em in at flameout and stir em up every couple of minutes for 15-20 minutes before you chill. I just did thus with an Amber and the smell coming out of that carboy was hoppy heaven for the first couple of days. Might toss in some Amarillo for dry hops a few days before bottling just for sh!ts and giggles! Brew it up and let us know how it turns out. Hell. I might brew it up and taste for myself!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

That's a neat idea about whirlpool'ing the hops, I've never tried that before. I just may do that!

And yeah I'll definitely dry hop it.

I'm pretty stoked, and the responses on here have me ready to brew it this weekend! I'll keep everyone updated. Who knows, it may be awesome! :ban:

Looks like it will be a very tasty recipe. I find I never get a decision on what gets to be my "house faves". That gets decided by my wife and friends when they drink all my stock and ask for more, thus a house recipe.

That being said, brew it up and taste it. If its good then its always fun to recreate something tasty.

Back