Empty Tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackRock

Reaction score
So I walk downstairs to grab a beer only to find the tank empty and my beer with zero pressure to serve... bummer. Luckily I had some in the fridge bottled, but still.

The tank shows empty, the keg has zero pressure, but it's been on tap for over a week just fine and maybe two days since I pulled a brew from it. I'm guessing the keg "sprung a CO2" leak since it had no pressure, but I just filled my 5# tank a few weeks ago and have only had two kegs on it.

I guess I'll have to go fill it again and see if I can figure out where the failure was. It must have been pretty spontaneous because Id have thought I'd seen it sooner. You guys ever go to grab a beer only to find your tank is empty due to a leak in the system? I check everything so closely, I just can't figure out what happened.

I thought my fridge smelled like a freshly opened beer when I kicked the door open ;)

Sucks when that happens. At least the beer was still in the keg and not on the floor of the -erator. Nay have had a slow leak. Check your fittings and connections...

Put some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray it on your connections. You're gonna see if there is a leak by seeing the formation of bubbles.

Of course your bottle must not be empty!

Sucks when that happens. At least the beer was still in the keg and not on the floor of the -erator. Nay have had a slow leak. Check your fittings and connections...

Aye! Definitely didn't think about that one. I'm sure glad my California Common is still in the keg just waiting for more CO2.

I'll get it filled up and give the lines a check with soap for sure. I must have damaged, bumped or loosened something in the last move in and around the house is all I can think. Good thing a refill isn't too expensive on a 5# tank.

Thats exactly why I got a second co2 tank. Just incase something happens and I go to poor a beer and nothing happens. I would think u must have a pretty big leak. Like already said refill and spray with soapy water, should be easy to find.

Because the fridge smelled like beer, CO2 must have been leaking out of the keg, as opposed to somewhere between tank and gas post.

I'm betting the lid seal didn't happen, but it could be a leaky PRV as well...

Cheers!

Back