time saving bottle washer/investors needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
So I just thought i'd thrrow this out there. I have tried kegging and bottling, both time consuming, but the more versitile and my preferance is bottleing.

I have come up with a design that would cut bottle washing/sanitising/storing bottles down to a minimum and make the hobby more enjoyable.

It would take alot of effort to get the proto-type ready, but want to start here and see if anyone feels my pain when it come to BW.

Time money and knowlege of mfg and market would be needed. Any thoughts

Someone already beat you to it. It's called a dishwasher.

$hit, I knew I should have left the Amish community when I had the chance. lol

but seriously, It would be nice if you could properly clean bottles with the dishwasher, but it doesnt properly sanitise the bottles, at least to my knowledge. I am anal about the 4 step process, manually clean, chemical clean, sanitize and dry. this would do all three as well as create a cheap storage container for the bottles. Think of it as a storage box that does the above mentioned for about 20.00 each.

Um, I could be wrong, but I always that the dishwasher properly sanitized (with its intense heat) but didn't always clean properly (what with the thin necks of the bottles).

Fruit canners have always relied on dishwashers. Or we could always put our bottles in canning kettles. Really, canners and home-brewers *really* ought to talk to each other more. We have so many common issues that we each assume are unique to our hobbies.

how do you plan on speeding up

5 seconds with a brush
screw on faucet bottle washer
vinator

?

So I just thought i'd thrrow this out there. I have tried kegging and bottling, both time consuming, but the more versitile and my preferance is bottleing.

I have come up with a design that would cut bottle washing/sanitising/storing bottles down to a minimum and make the hobby more enjoyable.

It would take alot of effort to get the proto-type ready, but want to start here and see if anyone feels my pain when it come to BW.

Time money and knowlege of mfg and market would be needed. Any thoughts

I too just use my dishwasher, I put it on the high temp mode and it cleans and sanitizes. I then just cover them with some plastic wrap until I'm ready to bottle.

That said if you have a good idea I'm sure someone would buy it. Homebrewers sure love their toys. I'd suggest a kickstarter project.

Good Lawd, guys, are you working in a level 4 biohazard facility?
There's an easier, cheaper, dependable, unrushed, level 1, but rather clever, way.
Wanna know what it is?

how do you plan on speeding up

5 seconds with a brush
screw on faucet bottle washer
vinator

?

The brush is good and cant be beat, to properly clean bottles you want to soak them in pbr or cipton for an hour, rinse with water at least 2x, sanitise with Iodofor or iodide/water for 2 minutes, then drain upside down. this is how I do it it. It is the most time consuming part of bottling for me. The brush should be used in the begining as well.

Dishwashers might work for some, and I hope all works for them, I just dont want to infect my hard earned beer with a substandard process. I might try the dishwasher someday, but the last time I saw someone use it they got gushers.

That is effing awsome!. It isn't anything what I had in mind, but I could deffinatly incorporate this into my design. it would be used totally different, but cuts out one of the parts I would need.

my system would be non electric and would be powered by gravity,

this damn thing could be converted into a bottle filler. imagine filling 50 bottles at once!

it looks like pvc. he calls it cpvc, either is ok for food, I have 500 ft of 1/2 cpvc in my shed.

Do you have any plans on how to recirculate using only gravity? It seems like that would be an obstacle, unless you are planning on just having the water/cleaner/sanitizing solution just take one pass through.

I don't think any of us are going to jump in with investment money without at least a hint at what it is you want to do.
Then you run the chance of someone steeling your idea.
The best thing I can suggest is patenting your idea.
Then you own it and can do whatever you want with it.
On the other hand, if somebody else has already thought of and applied for patent, you'll quickly figure that out and save yourself a cease and desist order at the best, and law suit in the worst case scenario.

The brush is good and cant be beat, to properly clean bottles you want to soak them in pbr or cipton for an hour, rinse with water at least 2x, sanitise with Iodofor or iodide/water for 2 minutes, then drain upside down. this is how I do it it. It is the most time consuming part of bottling for me. The brush should be used in the begining as well.

Dishwashers might work for some, and I hope all works for them, I just dont want to infect my hard earned beer with a substandard process. I might try the dishwasher someday, but the last time I saw someone use it they got gushers.

Sorry I just don't see all of this, if theres gunk inside you have to scrub with a brush and oxsiclean, rinse very well, then a trip thru the dishwasher on bottling day, otherwise rinse and shake a few times immediately after pouring then a trip thru the dishwasher on bottling day is all it takes for me

That's a lot of work!

What I do- rinse the bottles well when I open them and pour out the beer. Rinse them very well, and turn them upside down in my dishrack. Store upside down.

On bottling day, inspect them and do a quick rinse if they are dusty. Then use the vinator, to squirt star-san mixture in them and hang on the bottling tree.

The entire process takes less than 10 minutes.

Back