3-Tier Wooden Brew Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentednonsense

Reaction score
I can't take all the credit for this build. I'm basing my build mainly off of harten74's sculpture. I'll update periodically with pictures.

So far my material list and cost are as follows. I will update as I go along:

Lowes
1 --Southland Pipe 1/2-in x 60-in 150 PSI Black Iron Pipe -- $11.58 ea
1 --Mueller Proline 1/2" Black Iron Tee Fitting -- $2.13 ea
1 --Mueller Proline 1/2" 90-Degree Black Iron Elbow Fitting -- $1.61
2 -- Southland Pipe 1/2-in x 18-in 150 PSI Black Iron Pipe -- $4.92 ea
2 -- Top Choice 1 x 4 x 8 Appearance Grade Pressure Treat -- $2.97 ea
3 -- Top Choice 1 x 6 x 6 Appearance Grade Pressure Treat -- $3.97 ea
3 -- Top Choice 2 x 4 x 8 #2 Prime Pressure Treated Lumber -- $3.27 ea
4 -- Top Choice 2 x 6 x 8 #2 Prime Pressure Treated Lumber -- $5.77 ea
3 -- Top Choice 4 x 4 x 8 #2 Prime Pressure Treated Lumber -- $8.57 ea

Agri Supply
2 -- 424-299 1/4 High Pressure Hose Assembly., 1/4 Mpt X 3/8 -- $6.49 ea

Home Depot
2 -- BrassCraft 3/8 in. OD Flare x 1/2 in. FIP Steel Low Deman -- $3.47 ea
1 -- 3/8 in x 1/2 in Lead-Free Brass Flare x MIP Half Union-L -- $3.40 ea

Rebel Brewer
1 -- Bayou Classic KAB4 210,000 BTU Banjo Burners -- $84.50

UPDATE 4/15/13 -- Amazon
1 -- Bayou Classic KAB6 210,000 BTU Banjo Burner -- $109 (including shipping, amazon certified used)

UPDATE 4/27/13 -- Keg Cowboy
1 -- 40 Plate Wort Chiller -- $95 (Love the chiller, after this order I can't recommend the company)

Progress show far today....

[/B]Uncut Wood
uncut-wood.jpg

Cut Wood
cut-wood.jpg

Plumbing for Propane
black-iron.jpg

Ha, I just glanced at the photos and at first I thought you were showing how the rig wouldn't fit through the door. And that made me laugh (as I built most of my stand indoors, and well, never mind...............)

But I read it more carefully and wanted to thank you for the photos! I look forward to seeing the build progress.

Ill look into that. Thanks for the advice. Right now the elbow is more because I haven't had to chance to order a female camlock yet to fit the male threads if the pump. Is there a priming issue with having it vertical?

Fittings installed on plate chiller. I ordered from Adventures in Homebrewing. By far my favorite store to order from!

image-3626691333.jpg

Pretty awesome. A buddy of mine wants to go halfsies on a brew stand.

we're looking into a 3-tier gravity stand, just like yours. except minus the pump. what do you use that for on a 3-tier stand? (excuse my ignorance please)

Recirculating, and for the plate chiller mainly. Helps moving liquids around without having to worry about gravity all the time

Used the stand for the first time on Homebrew day. I'll have to get a ball valve for the plate chiller, wort went through to fast and only chilled to 135. Also missed my numbers. OG was supposed to be 1.061, I got 1.053. I blame it on the crappy, rainy, windy day. Other than that, the stand works great!

Saw this after I posted a new thread on wooden 3-tier design ideas/help. That's nice, I like it, I'll probably borrow some of the structure/platform ideas from your build. Question, what is the purpose/idea behind the one divider wall you have coming up at the edge of one of the tiers/platforms?

Thanks!

Heat shield from the propaganda burner so it didn't melt the cooler

I have to ask. How did you manage to convert your burner to run off of propaganda? That is impressive.

Im subscribing. I need to make something like this. The whole setting the cooler MLT on top of an inverted keg which is on a table is starting to get old. And I am seriously surprised I have not spilled or dropped anything yet.

Hey, I really like this brew stand. Did you use wood screws or nails? What size? Also, what size casters did you put on your rig?

Back