Hopphead thoughts on hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm into hoppy taste but not crazy bitterness. I just put together an AG 5 gallon recipe in Beersmith with the objective of getting a lot of hop with IBU of 55-60. Hops will be equal parts Amarillo (9.3%) and Centennial (10.3%). In order to get all the late hops without adding a bunch of IBU, my schedule calls for no hop additions until 25 minutes left in the boil (60 minute boil).

In all, 10 oz of hop pellets will go into this (with IBU of only 55-60). This seems like a lot to me.

2 oz will be added when the wort is being cooled (at 160 degrees for 30 minutes) and 2 oz as a 5 day dry hop.

Other 6 oz:

.5 at 25 min
1.5 at 20 min
2 oz at 15 min
1 oz at 10 min
1 oz at 5 min

Am I going to get the kind of hop flavor I'm looking for? Any tips in addition to, instead of, this plan?

ABV = 7.5% +/- on this beer.

Sounds good! I find that hop standing in the cooling wort really makes a difference!

What is the OG and FG?

Add your whirlpool hops at 185 dg, btw.

Assuming 72% efficiency, Beersmith puts my OG at 1.069 and my FG at 1.012.

I am guessing on my efficiency at this point because this is my second BIAB attempt and the first attempt came in at only 63%. This time I have my grain mill and plan to crush a little finer than what the LHBS gave me last time. So, those numbers are guesses at this point.

Grain Bill:

11 lbs. of 2-Row
1 lb. of Vienna
.5 lbs. of Cara-pils/Dextrine
.75 lbs. Caramel 60L

I would doubt you get down to 1012 with that bill, even with a low mash temp, and 80% plus attenuative yeast.

Im guessing 1016 maybe 1014, which IMO is a good place to be for 50-60 IBUs for a person who wants more flavor than bitterness.

I think overall it looks good. I would do the following

Drop the 25 minute addition
Start the whirlpool at 185 dg(account for IBUs similar to a 15 min addition, BTW)
Up the dry hop amount to 3 oz, and go for 7 days.
prolly back down the crystal to .5....especially if you want to get anywhere close to 1012

Just checked Beersmith and apparently I did not remember the final schedule. Here is what I had in the software:

1 oz Amarillo (9.3%) - 20 min.
1 oz Centennial (10.3%) - 20 min.

.5 oz Centennial - 15 min.
.5 oz Amarillo - 10 minutes

1.5 oz Centennial - flame out
1.5 oz Amarillo - flame out

1 oz Centennial - hop stand (at 185 degrees, per above suggestion)
1 oz Amarillo - hop stand

1 oz Centennial - dry hop for 5 days
1 oz Centennial - dry hop for 5 days

Might want to shift 1 oz of each hop from flame out to the dry-hop, get way more aroma with 4 oz vs. 2 oz dry hop. Especially since you are doing the hop stand also.

Back