ANTIPASTO (picnic) help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
OK, second date with the girl of my dreams.....I set the fun tone with a second date picnic of Antipasto.

I figure we both bring a collection of olives, cheeses, breads, etc., and surprise each other with what we brought. (feel free to steal that, she was blown away by my playful creativity, I just thought it sounded good!)

I was gonna make my list and I thought:"Who knows food better than a bunch of brewers?"

I am going to home make some flat bread. Short of that I plan on olives, cheeses (both hard and soft, provolone, parmesan and more) pepperoncini, pepperoni, salami, etc.

What do you suggest? Obviously, original creative ingredients are better, but if there are staples I may be overlooking please chime in!

Not only are speck and prosciutto delicious, but fun to feed to one another. That sounds like a euphamism... it can be if you want it to be. If you can get your hands on the cheese "purple haze" I highly suggest you do so (you'll need crackers though). The wife is addicted to manchego with quince paste, so you might want to go that route as well. Please note that if you go to the Louiseville Kroger and ask a monger at the Murray's kiosk, those ladies and gentlemen have been trained by my wife to supply information on just such an occassion. :D

I'd go with some Brie (not heated) and some Chèvre. Try to find Bresaola, it's cured beef eye of round and is fantastic; whole foods or a good market should have it.

Well first off, be careful with that "girl of my dreams" business...that will just get you in trouble, chill out, shes as crazy and needy as the rest of em. Pedestals are poor places to put women on a 2nd date.

That IS a good date idea, BTW. Especially for an early date, its an interactive thing, so it will help to prevent a conversation stall.

Anyways...food.

I subscribe to the alton brown theory of cheese plates. Have a theme..IE washed rined, soft, same milk, assertive/mild, region, ect. Sometimes more is less and this is especially the case with your girl bringing stuff as well. I would bring no more than 2 or 3 cheeses, and then bring 3-5 things that go with the cheeses.

Other things you may want to consider bringing: fruit, cornichons, nuts, prosciutto, crackers, chicken or ham salad, a cold pasta dish. I would also use any knowledge you learned about her food likes and dislikes on the first date to plan the menu, this will go over well.

One general thing(if you didnt already know this) is that with simple foods like this quality matters a great deal, don't skimp.

Capicola & Smoked Gouda wrap the capicola around the smoked gouda & or feta if you like a lot of salt.

Brie, with some figs, dates, or apple slices to pair with it.

Toasted pine nuts or walnuts.

Arugula

Pickled brussels sprouts.

A *good* French baguette and a knife.

If you have a baguette I agree with the pate idea completely.... actually... you might want to ask her first...

Well first off, be careful with that "girl of my dreams" business...that will just get you in trouble, chill out, shes as crazy and needy as the rest of em. Pedestals are poor places to put women on a 2nd date.

That IS a good date idea, BTW. Especially for an early date, its an interactive thing, so it will help to prevent a conversation stall.

Anyways...food.

I subscribe to the alton brown theory of cheese plates. Have a theme..IE washed rined, soft, same milk, assertive/mild, region, ect. Sometimes more is less and this is especially the case with your girl bringing stuff as well. I would bring no more than 2 or 3 cheeses, and then bring 3-5 things that go with the cheeses.

Other things you may want to consider bringing: fruit, cornichons, nuts, prosciutto, crackers, chicken or ham salad, a cold pasta dish. I would also use any knowledge you learned about her food likes and dislikes on the first date to plan the menu, this will go over well.

One general thing(if you didnt already know this) is that with simple foods like this quality matters a great deal, don't skimp.

This might possibly the most helpful and well thought out post in the history of posts. WOW.

i appreciate the advice! No I am not worshipping her, I just wanted to communicate that this is a "DO NOT SCREW IT UP" date.;)

Not only are speck and prosciutto delicious, but fun to feed to one another. That sounds like a euphamism... it can be if you want it to be. If you can get your hands on the cheese "purple haze" I highly suggest you do so (you'll need crackers though). The wife is addicted to manchego with quince paste, so you might want to go that route as well. Please note that if you go to the Louiseville Kroger and ask a monger at the Murray's kiosk, those ladies and gentlemen have been trained by my wife to supply information on just such an occassion. :D

HOW AWESOME. I did remember that, but it never crossed my mind when making this thread!

Capicola & Smoked Gouda wrap the capicola around the smoked gouda & or feta if you like a lot of salt.

Do this before hand or as you eat?

Brie, with some figs, dates, or apple slices to pair with it.

Toasted pine nuts or walnuts.

Arugula

Pickled brussels sprouts.

A *good* French baguette and a knife.

Is all of that in reference to the brie? Or just generally good to have around?

If you have a baguette I agree with the pate idea completely.... actually... you might want to ask her first...

She is a bigger foodie than me. First date (thanks Xpertskir for the suggestion to look for clues!) we shared a calimari seviche. Not crazy by your standards creamy, but pretty adventurous. She guaranteed to win the foodie contest between us. I have a feeling that she is gathering her BIG guns for this endeavor.

Make something to include as well. I have gotten laid more times than I can count in my younger days by cooking for a girl.

A simple one for a cheese plate is candied bacon. Find a high quality very thick cut bacon. I like Benton's Bacon.. There are numerous recipes for candied bacon but most call for a light dusting of a sugar (generally brown) and/or a syrup (often Maple). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, lay out your coated bacon, cover with another sheet of parchment paper, top with another cookie sheet to keep the bacon pressed lightly flat, and place in the oven.

Cut into bite size pieces to include on your cheese plate. I had it paired with an aged sharp cheddar and with a Kentucky Blu. Both were good but I liked the Blu pairing best I think.

Do not forget a drizzle of a quality honey for the plate and candied nuts often go well as well, especially with a nutty cheese.

Buy a few or better yet make yourself some stuffed olives. I particularly like a creamy blu stuffed in large meaty green olives. Get wild and wrap the stuffed olive in a small strip of prosciutto.

Holy hell!!!

This thread just made EPIC in record time.(no credit to me, the awesome thoughts are almost too numerous to comprehend)

Candied bacon........

MidTNJasonf, I am making flatbread. Stuffing olives sounds like a WINNER!!!! Not 100% on the candied bacon, but it deserves some thought!

The garden is starting to shape up. I have fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, and parsley. I was thinking herbed mozzerella and olive oil.

Along those same lines, cherry peppers stuffed with buffalo mozz and prosciutto are fabulous with a drizzle of olive oil. Kersplode in your mouth.

As much as I like all the fatty items that will star on your plate (the charcuterie, cheese and olives), I think you need something to eat in between, something with some acid, maybe some grapes or strawberries.

Will you be serving wine, or better yet, beer with this picnic?

This stuff is pretty good, goes well on a cracker or piece of bread with really stinky cheese.
iipsrv.fcgi

Make something to include as well. I have gotten laid more times than I can count in my younger days by cooking for a girl.

A simple one for a cheese plate is candied bacon. Find a high quality very thick cut bacon. I like Benton's Bacon.. There are numerous recipes for candied bacon but most call for a light dusting of a sugar (generally brown) and/or a syrup (often Maple). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, lay out your coated bacon, cover with another sheet of parchment paper, top with another cookie sheet to keep the bacon pressed lightly flat, and place in the oven.

Cut into bite size pieces to include on your cheese plate. I had it paired with an aged sharp cheddar and with a Kentucky Blu. Both were good but I liked the Blu pairing best I think.

Do not forget a drizzle of a quality honey for the plate and candied nuts often go well as well, especially with a nutty cheese.

Buy a few or better yet make yourself some stuffed olives. I particularly like a creamy blu stuffed in large meaty green olives. Get wild and wrap the stuffed olive in a small strip of prosciutto.

After this guy I'm bowing out:eek: but yes wrap capicola first

Am I OK with an all KROGER lineup creamy? Loyalties aside.

Well, Murray's is a store within a store, so while the employees at that counter are Kroger employees they are trained by Murrays and all merchandise goes through the Murrays buyers. I know little about how much one can trust Kroger (though my aunt in Michigan swears by them) but I DO know you can trust Murrays for quality.

Mini Caprese Salads. Fresh Mozz Balls, Cherry Tomatoes, Piece of fresh Basil, and drizzled with Balsamic all stuck on a toothpick.

Winner!

I like this. You can also buy balsamic glaze at the grocery store. It is just reduced balsamic that is nice and thick. It will cling to your Caprese Pops better than balsamic vinegar.

As much as I like all the fatty items that will star on your plate (the charcuterie, cheese and olives), I think you need something to eat in between, something with some acid, maybe some grapes or strawberries.

This stuff is pretty good, goes well on a cracker or piece of bread with really stinky cheese.

Wine. I like good wine and it just seems more picnicy.

I appreciate the point! Sweet.

After this guy I'm bowing out:eek: but yes wrap capicola first

There are some heavy hitters in here. That is something though!

Well, Murray's is a store within a store, so while the employees at that counter are Kroger employees they are trained by Murrays and all merchandise goes through the Murrays buyers. I know little about how much one can trust Kroger (though my aunt in Michigan swears by them) but I DO know you can trust Murrays for quality.

KROGER is fantastic, but it isn't whole foods, or new earth or upscale like those places.

Is all of that in reference to the brie? Or just generally good to have around?

No, not all a reference to the brie. Arugula, the fruit, and pine nuts will make a nice contrast to cheese & meats. These with the pickled brussels sprouts will provide something acidic to reset your palate in between bits of charcuterie and cheese.

Well, maybe not the toasted pine nuts, but they go well with the other stuff like brie, dates, arugula, etc. and add another layer of flavor and texture.

I would watch out for some of those pickled things, as some of them can be a bit too sweet and not work very well for that purpose. Read the ingredients on the package and if "sugar" or some variant thereof is listed as one of the top 3-4 ingredients, put it back on the shelf.

No, not all a reference to the brie. Arugula, the fruit, and pine nuts will make a nice contrast to cheese & meats. These with the pickled brussels sprouts will provide something acidic to reset your palate in between bits of charcuterie and cheese.

Well, maybe not the toasted pine nuts, but they go well with the other stuff like brie, dates, arugula, etc. and add another layer of flavor and texture.

I would watch out for some of those pickled things, as some of them can be a bit too sweet and not work very well for that purpose. Read the ingredients on the package and if "sugar" or some variant thereof is listed as one of the top 3-4 ingredients, put it back on the shelf.

Thanks!

iipsrv.fcgi

I can confirm that women love this fig spread. My wife goes nuts for a spinach salad tossed with this fig spread, grated manchego and sliced spanish almonds.

Do they sell it by the lb? Probably won't go all the way downtown, but for another time it would be good to know.

Not sure but you could make a couple of to-go orders and score some good blue-dog bread for the picnic as well. :rockin:

Not sure but you could make a couple of to-go orders and score some good blue-dog bread for the picnic as well. :rockin:

She texted me "It is a crying shame that blue dog doesn't bake on mondays", lol.

Monday is it. (with some specific googling my cover could be blown here:eek:)

Man reading this thread has made me realize I am a man of simple tastes. Or perhaps missing out on the joys of eating because I look at food as a thing you have to do not enjoy doing so much.

Man reading this thread has made me realize I am a man of simple tastes. Or perhaps missing out on the joys of eating because I look at food as a thing you have to do not enjoy doing so much.

JESUS MAN!!!!!!!!!

Why do you brew beer?

If I didn't care so much for food, I would be happy with Miller Lite.

Antipasti is incredible even in simple form.

Get some gourmet pepperoni, sharp provolone, olives, and some pretzels. Munch these in varying proportions until you see the light.

JESUS MAN!!!!!!!!!

Why do you brew beer?

If I didn't care so much for food, I would be happy with Miller Lite.

Antipasti is incredible even in simple form.

Get some gourmet pepperoni, sharp provolone, olives, and some pretzels. Munch these in varying proportions until you see the light.

Hehe well truth be told I do enjoy a Bush Lite on occasion. I am just as happy with a hot dog or eating a cold can of chili as I am eating a fancy meal.

Just one of those things I guess. Don't get me wrong I think it is great that you guys enjoy cooking and stuff. And on the rare winter day I enjoy making a nice stew that makes the house smell good all day. I just for the most part think eating is a waste of time.

Now drinking on the other hand :tank:

Back