Favorite American Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot_chale

Reaction score
I find that with home brewing, and with beer drinking in general, those of us in-the-know scoff at this style quite often. It's always going to be a stand-by for me, and I think it'll be neat to see what we all think about the classic American Lager.

For me, it's Grain Belt Premium. I grew up on this stuff, and since it's being made in New Ulm, Mn, IMO it's better than ever. It's crisp, light, flavorful, and pleasant.

So have at it. As a home brewer, what is your go-to American Lager?

If I'm slumming and/or mowing, I'll go for some Miller High Life. Somtimes...gasp....I will even get some MGD 64. But High Life is the s^%t.

What do you mean by American Lager? Do you mean the style or a Lager Brewed in America?

If you're asking about favorite Adjunct Lager, it's got to be Yuengling Premium Lager.

Mostly Yuengling .
Not really a fan of the style though.
Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll be able to say mine to answer this question.

I assume this question refers to BMC type lagers, not craft or even something like Yuengling.

I used to like Blatz and Helimann's Old Style. They were less expensive than the big 3 and had something more resembling beer flavor

MGD in the black and gold label, not ice, was my fave for a long time. I too like PBR. Regular Bud as well.

Shiner Blonde is my answer.

Yuengling is my go-to when I'm at a bar that doesn't serve crafts. It's also a nice lawnmower beer at under 5% abv. My only complaint is the green bottles, but it's even decent skunked.

I like Grain Belt Premium also. Remember when it was brewed by the Minnesota Brewing Company in St.Paul? I think it won gold at the GABF in 94 or 95.

I'm not afraid to admit my love for Natty Light and Miller High Life and occasionally PBR. Would rather drink those than BL or Lite.

no rolling rock yet?

fine i'll say it rolling rock, pbr, maybe miller light, then yuengiling (over did it on that one). that's if we're considering macro-brewed lagers.

Yuengling is my go-to when I'm at a bar that doesn't serve crafts. It's also a nice lawnmower beer at under 5% abv. My only complaint is the green bottles, but it's even decent skunked.

That's why I stopped buying Yuengling bottles and only buy their cans now. I've been much happier. Not to mention Cans>Bottles

Adjunct Lager may have been a better use of the term. I mainly meant full-flavored American style lagers- nothing light. The grain belt I grew up on has been from New Ulm, but my age is against me on that one. I will go for a Miller Genuine Draft (or as we call it, the jenny) if grain belt is not available. Pabst was great until it became popular, and now I will not pay the price for it unless it's a 6 pack of pounders. High life and Hamm's are good, but a little too smooth for their own good. Budweiser and I are enemies. Not just because of the beerolitics, but something changed and it's not a pleasant beer for me. Never hand a yuenglings but I've heard great things. Rolling Rock was awesome years ago, but it changed once they started making it in St Louis. Funny line with the "pale ale" though. I've got a friend that swears by Point Special Lager from Steven's Point, WI. He gave me 2 cans a while back and I have to say, I really did enjoy them. Anyone care to weigh in on that beer or any others that haven't been mentioned?

I thought that was a pale ale?

Nope, it's misleading because it says pale on the label: It's a pale lager. Forgot about this one. I haven't drank that much of it since they sold out and moved away from here but it enjoy this one from time to time in the summer.

That's why I stopped buying Yuengling bottles and only buy their cans now. I've been much happier. Not to mention Cans>Bottles

Couldn't agree more, it's also wonderful from a tap. If you get it super fresh from a barrel it has a nice faint fruit and banana flavor.

I've enjoyed Stroh's, and lately Michelob Original Lager has been pretty good. Steven's Point Lager is good too.

Haven't had a "regular" american light lager in quite a while. Except to cook a beer can chicken...

I forgot to mention another local American lager: Straub. It has a really nice crisp earthy taste. I always say it tastes like dirt, but in a good way.

Amber Bock.

Unfortunately they stopped making Red Wolf. That was the front runner for me for most of the '90s and early 2000's.

I've always liked Hamms. My local liquor store was selling the 24 packs of it for $5.99 last year, but they haven't been able to get it, nor have I seen it at any of the big box stores here locally for several months.:(

Back