visiting Killeen, Texas from Western Canada. what to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoop

Reaction score
I'm here in Killeen for a few days visiting family. There's a ton of beer I've never tried from down south and can't get from where I'm from. What to try? I've tried shiner now. But don't know what else is worth buying. Please advise!

almost anything from rahr is good. the brewery is right next door in fort worth, and fritz rahr is a good man and an even better brewer

See if there's any St. Arnold's around. They are located in the Houston area so maybe you can find some. Their 'Elissa' is a fine IPA and the 'Endeavour' is also very good. There's a Spec's liquor in Killeen, so I'd check there.

I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but one of my favorite beers is Zeigen Bock. It's only available in Texas -- but fair warning (if you're one of the "won't drink any macro beer" crowd) it's an AB-Inbev produced beer.

I know I'll probably get blasted for this, but one of my favorite beers is Zeigen Bock. It's only available in Texas -- but fair warning (if you're one of the "won't drink any macro beer" crowd) it's an AB-Inbev produced beer.

i won't blast you, but :eek: . as was said before, st arnold is pretty good. not great, not bad, but good

Whatever you do, please don't judge Texas and Texas Beers on what you see in Killeen! It's a special place indeed, but not a good representation of our beloved motherland.

Haha, I will try not to judge based on Killeen. It's pretty shady here. Although I drove through Western Texas from Phoenix to get here and it was pretty boring. Didn't really give me a good first impression ;).

I went to specs earlier tonight. Realized there was a ton I didn't recognize and decided to ask the HBT collective. Thanks for the recommendations!

Rahr Iron Thistle. Lakewood's Temptress is fantastic, but it looks like Waco may be the closest place you'll find it.

I second the idea of Zigenbock, especially on tap if you can find it, other wise in the bottle is just as good. I'd take a Zigenbock over a Shiner any day.

I ended up trying a few from shiner, zeigenboch amber, race's ugly pug, and saint Arnolds Elisa IPA. Really solid IPA, right up my alley. Thanks for all the input!

Old Chicago has a large selection. Try it out. After Sept if your down again let me know. I live in Killeen but am out of the country till then.

Back