Help me remove white deposit in my kegs , is it beer stone ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierTous

Reaction score
Hi keg for years, and this problem is growing : I having a scale or "beer stone" problem in my kegs. washing with PSB, TSP, Caustic (2,5%) , soap, or lime removal doesn't seem to remove my white deposit. Any idea ?

I've never had beer stone appear "white". My guess is a mineral buildup, possibly the result of hard water.

The one thing apparently not tried is something acidic. Try mixing up a white vinegar & water solution, maybe a cup of vinegar in a quart of water (or a strong Star San solution - doubled, just for grins) pour it in, give it a good swirl, let it sit for awhile, repeat a couple of times, then dump into the next keg and rinse out the first, and see how it looks...

Cheers!

[edit] I just noticed the "lime removal" part. I assume that was something acidic (CLR, perhaps). If that's true, I'm not sure what you're looking at...

Most kegs look nice and shiny inside when you get them, from the acidic soda syrup that used to be inside. So it's most likely beerstone. I use saniclean, about 3oz for 5 gal should clean it up. If it's real bad just attach a scotchbrite pad to a stick and scrub it manually with BKF. That will get rid of it very easily.

Have you tried oxiclean free? That stuff works like a charm!

Edit... nevermind! PBW is basically the same thing. Try the vinegar route

Back