Irish stout fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paquitin

Reaction score
BIAB Recipe:
6 lbs 14 oz Maris Otter
2 lbs flaked barley
1 lbs roasted barley
5 oz black patent
Mashed at 152F, fermented at 66F OG 1.042 FG 1.011
The first time I brewed this recipe I used WL Irish yeast. Fermentation was great from the first week but after two weeks It just stopped. I raised the temp to 70 and roused the yeast, two weeks later gravity was still at 1.020. I pitched a package of Safale 04 and gave it two more weeks; after three hydrometer readings fermentation stopped at 1.016. Two weeks ago I brewed the recipe for the second time thinking that the problem was the Irish yeast. This time I used WLP 002 English Ale yeast. Took a hydrometer reading and the something happen 1.020. At this point I am not sure what it is going on. On both occasion I did a 2 L stater. Do I know that it's not the amount of yeast. Can some one help me understand this?
FirA

Neither the recipe or the yeast should be an issue. Have you tested the accuracy of your mash thermometer? Any chance you're using a refractometer for FG and not correcting for the alcohol?

dcp27 said:
Neither the recipe or the yeast should be an issue. Have you tested the accuracy of your mash thermometer? Any chance you're using a refractometer for FG and not correcting for the alcohol?

I have a brewmometer that was just calibrated and I always double check with a digital thermometer and they are both accurate. I use a Refractometer throughout my brewing process just to check if i am on schedule to hit my numbers but both my OG and FG I get them by using a hydrometer.

I have read a couple of other threads and apparently that happens slot with stouts. Is it a common thing to get stock at 1.020?

Only thing I can think of is your mash temp. 1.011 is pretty dry, so maybe try mashing a little lower than 152. 150 or even 148 perhaps? That'll make for more fermentables in the wort. Just a thought.

Rake_Rocko said:
Only thing I can think of is your mash temp. 1.011 is pretty dry, so maybe try mashing a little lower than 152. 150 or even 148 perhaps? That'll make for more fermentables in the wort. Just a thought.

Thanks, that's exactly what I am thinking. Appreciate the info.

If you are going to try and rebrew this beer repeatedly you have a great shot at doing a forced fermentation test. Save a pint if the wort and put it in a 2 liter flask or a quart mason jar. Sanitized of course. Then pitch a whopping amount of yeast in there. Like a half packet of US05. Shake it regularly and keep it really warm. 75-80F. After 5 days chill it to drop the yeast and check the gravity. If its lower than the main batch seems to be hitting you have a fermentation issue. If its the same then it's recipe/process driven. Make sense?

brewchez said:
If you are going to try and rebrew this beer repeatedly you have a great shot at doing a forced fermentation test. Save a pint if the wort and put it in a 2 liter flask or a quart mason jar. Sanitized of course. Then pitch a whopping amount of yeast in there. Like a half packet of US05. Shake it regularly and keep it really warm. 75-80F. After 5 days chill it to drop the yeast and check the gravity. If its lower than the main batch seems to be hitting you have a fermentation issue. If its the same then it's recipe/process driven. Make sense?

I will try it the next time I brew this beer. I really want to get to the bottom of it. What is still a mystery is how already twice I have follow the recipe to a T, pitched the right amount of yeast and came out with the same results. Even more the fact that I have read in a couple of threads that it is a common thing for fermentation to stop @ 1.020 with stouts.
Thanks for the info.

while 1.011 is pretty dry, it's actually on the high end for a dry stout, plus this is only a 1.042 OG, so that's only 74% attenuation. that should easily be reached with a 152F mash (I tend to get around 78% with 002 at that temp). every system is diff tho, so it's possible the OP does need to lower it.

Even more the fact that I have read in a couple of threads that it is a common thing for fermentation to stop @ 1.020 with stouts.

no idea who is saying that, but its wrong. you can't lump all stouts together. 1.02 is good for a RIS or milk stout, but its way wrong for a dry stout. I just made a milk stout with a similar strain (Wy1318) and it went from 1.072 to 1.023 with 1lb of lactose (so really like 1.014 if you take out the lactose) and mashed at 153F.

Back