I froze my beer HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunslinger711

Reaction score
Well, you would think after all of the reading and careful planning I know not to make a bonehead mistake like this, but I did. And now I need help. And to figure out if this is ruined or not. I'm thinking no.

Here's the situation:
-Fruit wheat beer (blood oranges, oranges, and blackberries)
-4 weeks total fermentation
-Ready for cold crash
-Dropped in unflavored gelatin
-Tried to get my chest freezer around 38 ish
-Got it lower around 32
-Checked it today (see picture down below) the top is frozen, the sides are frozen, there's still liquid in the center

What do I do now? Can I thaw it? What temp do I thaw it to?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Also, I stuck my un-sanitzed hand & thermometer in there to survey the damage and see if it was frozen through. How do I sanitize now or do I need to worry about infection?

Its, okay... I have never done this, but have heard of others accidentally freezing their beer. I guess take it out of the fridge and wait till all the ice chunks are gone, then try again.

And, you don't want to ever stick anything that is not sanitized into your fermentor, you are just asking for trouble.

Good luck.

I do realize that hop doc, had I not been panicked upon opening my chest freezer and seeing my first homebrew as a solid block of ice, I would've remembered my sanitation.

That being said, I have more questions. I'm guessing I'll have to re-pitch at bottling time. Anyone know how much I need to repitch in a once frozen beer to bottle carb correctly

Ok, airlock and fermentation bucket lid took an emergency dip into santizer and are back on. The bucket is in a 60-70 F spot, and I guess we'll just wait for it to thaw out.

Now onto to:
-An agonizing wait to see if infected my beer
-Figuring out what I have to re-pitch at bottling to carb my beer but not create bottle bombs
-Planning on using a clear fermentation vessel for my next beer so I can see what's going on
-Wondering even if I managed not to infect my beer, and not over/under carb my beer, if it's going to even taste halfway decent

Re pitching is never a bad idea, especially after cold crashing. Lots of people say that it is not needed, but I find reassurance knowing I have fresh viable yeast going into my bottles. Since I have been re yeasting, I have had no problems carbonating within a week.
Chris White says about 1 million cells per millileters to carbonate, that works out to about a half ounce of slurry per 5 gallons of beer. A small price to pay to insure proper carbonation.

Re pitching is never a bad idea, especially after cold crashing. Lots of people say that it is not needed, but I find reassurance knowing I have fresh viable yeast going into my bottles. Since I have been re yeasting, I have had no problems carbonating within a week.
Chris White says about 1 million cells per millileters to carbonate, that works out to about a half ounce of slurry per 5 gallons of beer. A small price to pay to insure proper carbonation.
Chris White is a lab geek and probably never has to worry about introducing something he did not intend to introduce into his beer. If you made a good beer and don't want it to change, the easiest way to do that is to not add anything. When you add something else you add a chance that there's something you don't want. The sugar has the opportunity to be boiled, the new yeast crop does not.

The absolutely correct, "I'm so perfect I want everything to be like me" answer is to repitch to those levels, but for a guy's first beer let's give him a little break and have him wait one extra week instead of trying to repitch?

Just MHO of course. :)

You know what happens to yeast when you freeze it? They die.....

You know what happens to yeast when you freeze it? They die.....
Uh ... no, that's not true. Otherwise we'd not have the yeast banks we do now. Not saying it would be recommended but I'm betting the alcohol in the beer helped keep those that were stuck in the ice viable. He also said the whole thing did not freeze, just he top and the sides. He has viable yeast in there.

I was kind of thinking I would still have viable yeast in there, but I didn't put my had all the way down to the bottom to see if the bottom froze.

Questions:

Do I use more priming sugar than usual? I'm thinking no because of bottle bombs.

I'm thinking I'll only bottle up a 12 packs worth when everything has un-frozen and see how that goes. How long should I wait? I've read a week is a good amount of time to bottle condition, so maybe 2-3 weeks?

Thanks for everyone's help so far, it's kind of frustrating because I made it through almost the entire process then messed up right before bottling.

I was kind of thinking I would still have viable yeast in there, but I didn't put my had all the way down to the bottom to see if the bottom froze.
My point, for whatever it's worth, is that if there was any liquid there there was yeast that was not frozen. Sounds like that's the case.

Do I use more priming sugar than usual? I'm thinking no because of bottle bombs.
You are correct.

I'm thinking I'll only bottle up a 12 packs worth when everything has un-frozen and see how that goes.
Honestly, if you go this direction then bottle all of it up front. If it works then you are done. If not then it may require another touch to add yeast but that's no different than that other half that will be sitting around patiently waiting. Doing the whole batch the same will allow greater consistency. If you get absolutely no carbonation (I would be REAL surprised) then open them all up under sanitary conditions, pour them back into the bottling bucket, and re-dose with yeast. This keeps your beer under (hopefully) sanitary conditions while you wait.

Please note that technically the advice to re-pitch is correct - but the advice I'm giving is what I think will work best for you in the place you are right now. If you have more viable yeast of the same type laying about ready to pitch then by all means do so. I am assuming however you do not, that this being your first beer you are really ready for it to be over and to try the fruits of your work. Waiting to get more yeast is likely not the right answer, and pitching a different yeast can be a complicated matter, so this is the best answer for your position in my opinion.

How long should I wait? I've read a week is a good amount of time to bottle condition, so maybe 2-3 weeks?
Around that. Keep an eye on them. Your first clue may be a re-clouding or more likely a very faint sediment on the bottom of the bottle. I generally like to bottle condition for 2-3 weeks anyway - I think it makes for a better conditioned beer. I'd say a couple weeks after you see some yeast on the bottom before you crack one and try it.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, it's kind of frustrating because I made it through almost the entire process then messed up right before bottling.
We have all been there, the person who says he's never done something stupid is lying. In my last batch I ended up sampling a few too many of my Belgian ales and forgot the whirfloc at the end of the boil. I started brewing in 1991 so you'd think I was over screw-ups. :) I learn, I ask, I learn some more, I enjoy it all and that's really the idea.

One of my favorite frozen beer episodes ... I made a double-decocted doppelbock many moons ago. I forgot about it in my lagering fridge and over the winter it froze solid it looked like (although it was in a carboy so it could not have been all ice). I was so disgusted I left it there thinking I would clean it up later. In the spring I went to lager a new batch, opened that lagering fridge and there it was, still waiting for me. I tasted, it was awesome, I bottled (this was before I knew I HAD to re-pitch) and in a couple months I was rewarded with an excellent, bottle-conditioned lager. "Refrigerator" was one of the best doppelbocks I ever made, and it won BoS at three competitions.

Awesome refrigerator story Lee, makes me feel a little better. Guess we'll find out in a few weeks what the results are.

Upside to this, I have a milk stout fermenting away, ready to get some cocoa nibs and vanilla beans at the end I'd this next week. Guarantee I won't be making the same mistake again.

Right now she's sitting in my closet at 56.8 F. I'm letting her sit another day, then we'll bottle. No activity in the airlock so that's looking good for no infection, but we'll see.

Here's a picture of my beersicle.

FrozenBeerGOOD.jpg

Back