I want to brew Boston Lager, but it needs to be an ale...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomroeder

Reaction score
I am an all grain brewer with a few years experience under my belt. I absolutely love Sam Adams Boston Lager, and I want to brew it at home. The problem is at this time, there is no real practical way for me to brew a lager.

Now before I get a bunch of messages from people telling me how easy it is to do a lager at home, or pressurized fermentation for room temp lagers, I have looked into everything and I am not able to properly do a lager at this time.

Does anyone have a recipe that is very similar to Boston Lager, but use a clean yeast like Cal Ale?

Thanks in advance

no recipe for you, but do have an example of successfully brewing a mock Maibock using WLP060 that, although it didn't take a prize in a homebrew club competition, it did get very good comments and scores. club president said it was a great example of the style and two others said it was better than the calibration example (Gordon Biersch Maibock)

my recipe was Jamil's Maibock, the only change was the WLP060 and I fermented in the low 60s, much lower than the optimum range for 060. and it actually attenuated too much, ending up much dryer than expected (expected FG 1.015, actual 1.010 & got dinged for it from some of the judges)

found a recipe for you. I would follow the recipe exactly as is, just use the WLP060, ferment it like a regular ale and keep the fermentation temps as low as possible

Latest posts

Back