Jade IPA Foothills looking for recipe. Thx

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stryker_hass

Reaction score
These are the things I have found.

Coming in at 6.4% ABV (alcohol by volume) and 85 IBUs (International Bitterness Units), this American IPA is brewed with Cascade, Citra, and Jade hops

The rest is just beer review talk from various individuals.....

Jade IPA poured an average size head, foamy and frothy, lasting in nature. The color of this beer was a nice vibrant golden, like a color you might find in a sunrise

There’s malts here, too; a bit of caramel and straw

bright hazy orange coloration. It comes with a frothy white head that dissipates normally. On the nose, I found a strong marriage of pine resin and orange citrus. They play very well together and create an amazing aromatic balance that is clean and welcoming. I also found a hint of spice, which I would imagine is compliments of the Jade hops

The mouthfeel of this beer really took me by surprise because it is incredibly smooth to start, almost like a Belgian IPA. But, it does gain that signature crispness in the middle ground and eventually exits dry and bitter. The core flavor consists of a floral pine note which is quite savory, almost like the fresh hop flavor of a harvest ale. The other main note is a pepper infused citrus that takes the form of a lightly blackened orange rind. The hop profile is incredibly clean and pure. It has very big flavor yet remains easy drinking. The beer smooths significantly as it warms and gains a delightful buttery vibe, so definitely take your time to enjoy the session.

So I emailed the brewery a while back...

OG: 16.5
BU: 105

Malts:
Mostly 2 Row, then a little bit of Pilsner, and a touch of Crystal 150
Hops:
Jade, Citra, Cascade. Pretty much a combo all of three throughout the boil (totalling 105 BUs (including DryHops).
Also, DryHopped with all three

A good ale yeast will work great.

1st Addition @1st Wort: Citra (about 10% of total BUs)
2nd Addition: 15 min into boil (90min boil): Jade about 15% of total BUs)
3rd Addition: 70min into boil: Jade, Citra (Combo of about 35% of BUs)
4th Addition: 80min into boil: Citra (about 10% of total BUs)
5th Addition: @Whirlpool/End of Boil: Cascade/Citra (Combo of about 10% of BUs)
DryHopping: Citra, Cascade, Jade (Combo of about 20% of total BUs)

The brewer was very helpful!

Nice! This was a fantastic beer! Traveled to Winston-Salem twice in the last couple months and was super disappointed when the Jade IPA ran out on my second trip.

brewing this today Recipe from 5th Season Greensboro, NC based on above info from Skibb above. Note likely typo crystal 150 was likely 15. Dry Hop does not contribute to IBUs. Will update in 4 weeks.

Jade IPA

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 71
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 8
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
Tasting Notes:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Pilsen Malt 15.4%
1 Lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7.7%

*mash at 152 F

0.5 oz Citra Pellet at first wort
0.5 oz Jade Pellet 90 min
0.5 oz Jade pellet 20 min
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 20 min (0.25oz by mistake today
0.25oz Citra Pellet 10 min (missed addition by mistake today)
1 oz Citra Leaf end of boil
1oz Cascade Leaf end of boil

1 oz Jade Pellet, 1 oz Cascade Leaf, 1 oz Citra Leaf Dry hop

6.73% ABV

3.23.13 actual OG 1.066

Update:Brewed above 3.23.13 Keg 4.9.13 OG 1.066 FG 1.011 ABV 7.22% Not completely conditioned of course, but This is very good IPA on first taste tonight. Brewing it again tonight, let's see if I can get the hop schedule right this time. Good Luck all.

Um First keg of Jade gone....Kegged the 2nd one tonight and got the recipe right this time... Came in at OG 1.072 FG 1.014 ABV 7.61% I dry hopped with all pellet and for the first time, just threw it all in the carboy (as opposed to adding in sack). We shall see, but for the 1st batch folks that like IPA with a little less bittering, make my mistake beer above. My wife even said she could drink it...... In the Keg now (Kentucky Breakfast Stout, Victory Summer Love) In the carboy now (Victory Headwaters Pale, Oberon) Good Luck Jim PS would be interested if you use crystal 150, my beer people told me to use crystal 20 b/c they thought that must be a typo.

Just had a pint tonight. I think there is some small amount of a darker crystal in there. It's got an orange hue to it that I'm not sure you could get with a c15 or c20.

Ok brewed this tonight. Same recipe as above but now with Crystal 90 1lb instead of Crystal 20 1lb. I will do a taste/look compare. 2nd keg very good. This is one great IPA for those who like the more floral IPA (sweetwater comes to mind).

I'm going to brew the following recipe today:

10lbs 2-Row
2lbs German Pilsner
1lb Crystal 120L

*mash at 152

.5oz citra pellet at first wort
.9oz Pacific Jade pellet at 75min
.5oz citra pellet at 20min
.5oz Pacific Jade pellet at 20 min
.25oz citra pellet at 10min
1oz cascade leaf at 0min
1oz citra leaf at 0min

Dry hop: 1oz Pacific Jade, 1oz Citra leaf, 1oz Cascade leaf

Yeast: Wyeast 1056 (made a starter)

Est OG: 1.062
Est IBU: 86.1
Est ABV: 6.3%

They have the stats up at their website now for the beer and I'm close on everything except the ABV (a little low). But going to give this a try today and see how it turns out.

JoJo, I want you to try this recipe for Sweetwater IPA courtesy of Silas Swaim: I have made it many times with terrific results. I know you will like it.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.0 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
1.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 54.5 IBUs
2.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 18.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 0.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 1.9 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 10 -

The only things I have done different from time to time is: Sub Columbus 1oz for the Chinook 1.5oz. And I use safeale 05 on all of these IPAs.
I'm gettings OGs of 1.070 approx with ABVs of approx 7.5%. Mash at 152F. You can note that this uses crystal 80 and I have this sweetwater clone along with the Jade clone sitting side by side in carboys right now. With the jade using crystal 90, it is somewhat darker. Happy brewing. Jim

mine looks like it might be a little on the darker side, so perhaps a whole lb of Crystal 120 is a little too much. But I hit my estimated OG at 1.062. Excited for this one to finish. I will have to try the Sweetwater recipe you posted soon.

I just racked to secondary and dry hopped. OG was 1.062 and FG was 1.020 for an ABV of 5.51%--so a little on the low side. I had some problems after primary fermentation started. I think I had too much wort after I finished my boil and I had beer coming out the airlock the next morning. Put on a blow off tube but don't know if what I lost before I put on the blow off tube hurt primary fermentation or not. But it smelled and tasted delicious so I'm looking forward to kegging it in a week or so and tasting how it turns out.

Just kegged it last night and it tasted really good and actually reminded me of Jade in terms of both aroma and taste. Can't wait for it to be ready to drink next week. May end up making a few tweaks next time, but for the most part, I think the recipe is pretty solid. The color looks pretty decent on mine too. Didn't end up being as dark as I thought.

I've been away. I assume you are talking about sweetwater in two posts above. My last batch of Sweetwater IPA was 1.056 / 1.012 5.78%. I also collected too much wort, but in retrospect, nothing was wrong with this beer. Very close to being my #1 beer that I have brewed. Going back to Jade, tonight I kegged my #3 recipe and keg. Remember we were going back and forth about the crystal. In this one, I used crystal 90. OG 1.060 FG 1.010 6.56%. I'll tell you in 7 days how it compares. Suggestion: try SafeAle 05 dry - added directly to carboy - always good results. Good Luck ! Jim
Last three brews: Red Nectar Ale 5.23.13 Founder's Porter 5/30/13 Belgian Pale 5/30/13

I was actually talking about my Jade in the above posts. Still haven't made the Sweetwater recipe yet. My Jade turned out pretty good taste/aroma wise--you can clearly smell the Jade hops in it. It is definitely too dark, so a whole pound of Crystal 120 was way too much. I will try making it with less of that and use the Safale yeast next time. You don't re-hydrate the yeast when pitching it?

For what it's worth, I see folks using American Ale yeast for their Jade IPA clone recipes. Foothills, however, uses Wyeast London ESB (1968) yeast as their house yeast. At least, that's what I was told by one of their brewers.

I have now kegged and indulged in the 3 different recipes that I tried for Jade IPA. I believe that they are all very good, but I have to admit, my favorite is now when the Crystal is 90 vs 20. For those of you who have read this thread and have not tried to make this beer, I think you will be very surprised at just how good this is. Make it and let us know how it goes ! Happy Brewing, Jim

Jim,

You are still putting in a pound of the Crystal 90? How does the color come out for you? Do you get the orange hue in it? Gonna brew my second batch of it next weekend. I might try the London ESB yeast like the person above suggested. Will update you when it's time.

Update: Just put my second attempt in the keg on Sunday and tried a little last night for the first time. Although still a little under carbonated, it's pretty close to the real thing. I would say it's 85%-90% of the way there. From what I could tell after four days in the keg, the taste and aroma are pretty much spot on. The color has a little orange hue to it if you hold it up in the light, but I still think it's darker than what I get on tap at the bar. Mine also has a little more body, but I think taste and aroma are nearly dead on. I also used the Wyeast London ESB (1968) as OldAtHeart suggested, and I think that ended up being a great suggestion, so thanks for that! I would definitely give that yeast a try. My recipe was as follows:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 6.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 78.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
12lbs 2-Row
2lbs Pilsner Malt
4oz Crystal 120L (would use a little less 120 or same amount of 90 next time)

.5oz Citra at first wort
.5oz Pacific Jade at 75min
.75oz Citra at 20min
.75oz Pacific Jade at 20min
1 tsp Irish moss at 10min
.75oz Citra at 10min
.5oz Citra at 0min
.50z Cascade at 0min

Yeast: London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) (1200ml starter)

Mashed at 152 for 60min and fermented around 68 for 3 weeks. Then just added dry hops directly to primary and let go another 10 days, then kegged.

Dry Hops:
1.75oz Pacific Jade
.5oz Cascade
.5oz Citra

Has a really great aroma with floral and citrus notes, and it's not too bitter or "hoppy" in the traditional sense.

Thank you for posting. I tried the recipe w/1 lb of crystal 15 and color is wrong and way too sweet to be jade. I'll try again next month with something similar to your post.

6th batch of Jade IPA tonight this year. Still using Crystal 90 1 lb. Still using SafeAle 05 for yeast. Still using same hop schedule. Still enjoying this version. Jim

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU: 71
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color:
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):
Tasting Notes:

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.92 %
2 lbs Pilsen Malt 15.4%
1 Lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L

*mash at 152 F

0.5 oz Citra Pellet 90 min
0.5 oz Jade Pellet 90 min
0.5 oz Jade pellet 20 min
0.5 oz Citra Pellet 20 min
0.25oz Citra Pellet 10 min
1 oz Citra Leaf end of boil
1oz Cascade Leaf end of boil

1 oz Jade Pellet, 1 oz Cascade Leaf, 1 oz Citra Leaf Dry hop

6.73% ABV

I recently brewed my fourth attempt at a clone of Jade and drinking it from the keg right now. I feel like I have it pretty dialed in now. It's close enough for me and I probably won't tweak it too much more at this point.

The main thing I did differently this time was to do a 45 minute hopstand with the flameout hops after I turned the gas off. I just let them steep in the hot wort for 45 minutes before I started cooling and pitching the yeast.

Mash at 152 for 60 minutes. Boil for 90mins

11lb 2-Row
2lb Belgian Pilsner
1oz Crystal 120 (this got me closer to the correct color than before. Maybe 1.5-2oz would be best)

.5oz Citra at first wort
.50oz Pacific Jade at 75 minutes
.75oz Citra at 20 minutes
.75oz Pacific Jade at 20 minutes
.75oz Citra at 10 minutes
.50oz Cascade at flameout (steep for 45mins)
.50oz Citra at flameout (steep for 45mins)

Dry hops: 1oz Pacific Jade, 1oz Citra, 1oz Cascade

Yeast: Wyeast 1968 or WL002

if you are lucky enough to live in North Carolina, you can now acquire this lovely beverage in 22oz bottles. One interesting thing I noted on the label on the bottle is that they are now dry hopping with Chinook instead of Cascade. Other than that pretty much looks the same. Probably won't be changing my recipe any. I like it the way it is and it's close enough for me.

Counted my jade batches 2013. 10 kegged So I've pretty much stuck to my recipe published previous. I am curious though about the Dry hop of chinook. It could be that the brewer got a deal on a big load of hops. Sometimes I think when we find out the brewer is changing hops it is bc they know something we don't Just think though. We are using 7 -8 oz hops for this brew chinook for cascade is that really changing much ? Ah anyway I've been thinking about brewing an all Amarillo but I settled on hop head red IPA. Dry hopped with 3 oz Amarillo . tomorrow is my 2nd Kentucky breakfast stout and then Lagunitas IPA. Then farm ale smuttynose. Anybody with me here. Appreciate the continued posts. Looking forward to the jade bottle mostly for the compare

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bree

their website still describes them as dry hopping with citra and cascade so maybe they had/have a surprlus of chinook so decided to use that as a dry hop instead. most of the flavor is coming from the jade and citra in the boil anyways. foothills is also doing an "IPA of the month" so maybe the chinook was leftover from january's version. regardless, still tastes like jade

photo

photo.JPG

I brewed a 4gal batch on this on 02/15 using all 2-row with 3oz 120C. I bittered with Warrior, then used citra, jade, and cascade in the final 15 minutes through hopstand. Racked to secondary last night and dry hopped with 3oz Jade and 1oz Citra. Finished at 1.010 (7.6% ABV). Looked, smelled, and tasted great. Can't wait to sample them in a few weeks.

I spoke with the brewer at Foothills that I have known for a good while and sent him the latest recipe from jojobrewing (page three at the bottom). He said go all pils (no 2 row at all) and to go with caramel 60 (not 120). Also said no cascade at all, and to replace with chinook.

I spoke with the brewer at Foothills that I have known for a good while and sent him the latest recipe from jojobrewing (page three at the bottom). He said go all pils (no 2 row at all) and to go with caramel 60 (not 120). Also said no cascade at all, and to replace with chinook.

thanks for that info from the brewer dbj. i am making this again this weekend and will try what he suggested.

did he comment at all on the choice of yeast?

I talked to two brewers at the AHA Rally at Foothills last week and they said no chinook. I asked specifically.

They use an English ale yeast. Used to be 1968 but now something proprietary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back