Finished beer has a " sweetness" to it??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
Did a mr. Beer hefe and its bottle conditioned for 3-4 weeks put a couple in the fridge and had one the other night. It has good carbonation if not a little light for a hefe, has the banana and clove taste but there is a little sweetness/ cider taste on the finish. Its not off putting by any means and still drinkable. Just didn't know if that taste meant it hadn't conditioned long enough or its suppossed to taste like that. I don't recall any of my fav hefe like warstephaner or franziskaner having that sweetness.

Is it straight up bready/biscuit/Lowenbrau type sugary sweetness, or it it coming through under the banana notes? I'd say another week might knock some of that off.

If it seems undercarbonated and tastes too sweet then I would suspect the yeast aren't done with the carbing sugar yet.

My feeling is that it's simply the mr beer kit. They just don't have the bittering hops boiled to balance the "instant" mixes. Mr beer makes an acceptable product for many, and my friend uses hers a lot and likes the results. I don't usually like them, as I think they have a lot of "sameness" about them and are too sweet finishing.

If you try a different hefeweizen kit, that may be what you are looking for.

I'm gonna let them sit another week and try again but I do think it is the kit. There is very little body to this beer, it's nice an refreshing though but not what I was hoping for at this point. I'll try again in another week.

Back