REALLLLY Slow Fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I brewed a JOAM based on the description posted by yooper a while back.

If was my first, and admittedly I was rushing. I didn't properly mix honey with warm water to the point where it was a complete syrup. It looked fine in the bottle but later separated out. I though maybe this was normal.

Fermentation did begin and I see a bubble ever now and then (20 seconds?), but not the foaming torrent I was told to expect. It's been 5 days, and I can see yeast rafts stuck to the honey layer, and some gas escaping but it's slow.

Thing is, this is my first 1 gallon batch (80 Fl Oz actually) so I'm wondering if the lack of fizz is simply due to less volume. Is that the case? If I did a 1 gallon of beer or whatever would I have similar results?

And is the honey separating out normal or a problem? I used raisins as nutrient but many are below the honey (most are not).

Help a Noob out. Thanks

The honey separating is not a problem, and a lack of bubbles does not mean that it is not fermenting.

Back