Cold Crashing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed a DFH90 Min Extract Clone recently. It all went well. I let it ferment until the gravity was stable for 3 days, dry hopped (in primary) for about 5 days and then cold crashed for 2 days.

I then racked the beer to the keg and immediately threw it in the fridge with some CO2.

The kit says it will taste best ~8 weeks from brewing (OG - 1.091). I take some pulls from the keg every now and then (I know, I shouldn't - but I want to taste it throughout it's life). It looks nice, but it tastes pretty sour. First time I've had this issue.

Will that sour taste dissipate over time? Was it a mistake to cold crash, rack, and then put back in the fridge? Should I have racked to the keg and let it sit at room temp for a few weeks? If so, would it negatively affect the beer to do so now, after it has been in the fridge for a couple of weeks?

Might just be the "green beer" taste. If so, aging should get rid of it eventually. If you have a way of aging it at "cellar" temps, that would probably be ideal. You can age it at fridge temps, albeit slower. I've aged beers at room temp before with no ill affects, though I've been told by some that its not a good idea.

Back