Lager after 4 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incoerenza86

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a question for you related to the Carbonation Process.

I am brewing a Lager (been a month now) and is sitting in the barrel for second fermentation for a bit longer than 3 weeks, yesterday I decided to bottle one sample put it on fridge and give it a try on same day.

This it the outcome: Color is getting clear and blonder, it is flat and not carbonated though, on taste perspective it is beer but it still taste like "mixed" with water or when you drink something that has been left open for couple of hours.

My question is: it is just because longer time (how long?) is needed to the brew in the barrel to get the CO2 activated?

Thanks for your reply!

Did you add priming sugar? It is physically impossible for you to have bottled and fridged the beer in one day and expect it to be good. Even a lager will need 3 weeks to carb up and then at least 2 days in the fridge to dissolve the CO2 into it.

Hi there,

Yep I have added the sugar in the barrel with the brew for second fermentation.

So basically your suggestion is to run another sample, bottle it and let it rest in fridge for couple of days?

Thanks

Is this your first brew?

If you added sugar 3 weeks ago, then that is gone. You need to add sugar then bottle and seal the same day. This traps the carbonation as it builds and when it is refrigerated it dissolves back into the beer. Do you intend to bottle the whole batch? If so, bottle the whole batch. I'm not sure I understand why you are taking samples and bottling. You are likely introducing a great risk for infection. I suppose you could draw a sample and use a Carbonation tablet, but I'm still not sure why you're doing it one at a time.

Just to re-understand your story: It looks like you brewed the beer, let it sit in primary for a week (first mistake), transferred it to a secondary and its been there for three weeks. I don't believe it sat in primary long enough and did you get it down to lager temps? I'm pretty sure it should not have been transferred to a secondary yet, though I suppose you could, but seems like an uneccessary step.

Hi Thanks for your reply.

Here below the answers:

YES this is my first brew, I just followed the indications of the kit, here it is the recap:

I made the brew in the fermenter (1kg of brewing sugar), then about a week later I have run an hydrometer test and was around 1.010 - 1008 and ready to be bottled according the hydrometer.

Then the instructions suggested to transfer in the barrel (if you have one of course and I do) adding also here the sugar and let it rest for clearing for 3-4 weeks and the temperature indicated were followed (I know that lager needs lower temps than rest of beers).

Now, after 3 weeks (4 from the whole process) I have checked bottling one beer.

Is everything a bit clear now? How can I proceed further now?

Thanks

First, you'll learn very fast, the kit instructions are crap 99% of the time. Advice on here is much better, not saying I'm an expert, but I followed here and haven't had a bad brew yet. I'm not sure what the second sugar addition was for, but it was likely meant to be added after the lagering process and before bottling. The extra sugar is a boost for the yeast to start eating again and release the CO2. I may wait another week and then bottle and see how it turns out. It'll need another 3 weeks to condition and carbonate before you put one in the fridge for at least 48 hours, then you can try it.

Some more questions and advice.
Did you do a diacetyl rest? I would say most do a lager beer in 6 weeks, 2 primary and 4 lagering, at minimum not including bottling. It's not really your fault, but lagers are quite difficult for a first brew, lots more steps. This may need to be chalked up to a learning experience and I would research a little more on lagering techniques before trying again. This site has a wealth of knowledge.

Yeah I see the instructions are crap :)

No did not do any diacetyl rest.

My question is why would I wait another week and then bottle (without adding anything) ? can`t i just bottle in a week and put it on fridge?

I suppose technically, but it will take forever for your beer to carb up. It will be flat for quite some time.

Waiting the extra week allows it to finish the typical lagering timeframe. If you do not add anything since 3 weeks ago, it will take forever to carbonate. You have to add the extra sugar, if you are bottling, in order to get the CO2 required. This takes the yeast about 3 weeks to do at room temperature in the sealed bottles. Afterwards, it is refrigerated for at least 48 hours to get the CO2 to dissolve back into solution and give you the carbonated beer.

This is a free online book that will get you on your way. It's been updated but it has much more info than the instructions. Also, there is a link somewhere around here that discusses the carbonation process. 3 weeks at room temp is a minimum for proper carbonation before you chill it. I'll see if I can find it.

You need to add priming sugar, on bottling day, bottle, cap and let sit at room temp to carb up. Then fridge, open, pour and drink. Adding sugar to the fermenter will only serve to continue fermenting the sugar.

Thank you all!

As a final recap:

1) Should I wait another week or can I start bottling using priming sugar (or carbonation drops)? and then let it rest for how long?

2) After that, fridge for about 2-3 days?

Thanks and sorry guy, just a noob :)

1) If your gravity is stable, it's ok to bottle whenever. If not, wait til it is, then bottle. I would recommend priming sugar (dextrose or cane, preferably) and use something like TastyBrew.com's bottle priming calculator to see how much sugar to use. Dissolve sugar in boiled/ing water (like a cup or two), add to your bottling bucket, rack beer into bucket on top of sugar water (to allow it to mix in) and bottle. Wait ~3 weeks, at ~room temp, then....

2) Yes, fridge for two to three days minimum before serving (this allows co2 from priming to dissolve into the cold beer).

Thanks.

What would be the process with carbonation drops? I am saying so as I might have access to them easily and in shorter time.

In my case the beer is on the second fermenter (the barrel) I believe then I would just need to bottle them add one carbonation drop and let it rest for same time frame (3 weeks) right?

Correct. Fill a bottle, put in a carb drop, seal up and stash away in a cool ~70 F dark room for 3 weeks.

Back