Never planted rhizome they look okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
image-90823497.jpg

They don't have any eyes or bines sprouting. What now. I already have a hop garden plan. I only ordered two rhizomes but 8 and 4 diff types.

Plant and water them. A rhizome is a modified stem , much like a bulb . Get them in some moist soil and wait a few days to weeks and you should see some growth.
It seems the general rule is about 4" deep in a 1' mound 3-5 feet apart . I would place a tablespoon of balanced Osmocote ( 10-10-10 , 15-15-15 ...) about an inch below the rhizome . Keep moist, not wet till you see growth. Hops are a weed and a cousin of cannabis they will take off and grow almost anywhere . Have fun , relax and get a book about growing hops. If you find things that help or hurt them post your experience so we all can learn with you :)

Your rhizomes look great. I can even see a white sprout coming from at least one. Don't worry, just get them planted and let them take off!

Just bought this crown? I'm not ready to plant it yet. What can I do with it? I'm having my yard graded and a sprinkler system and sod put in along with other plants. I'm also gonna build my trellis but not for a few more weeks. I could put it in a pot

I saw those on Ebay.... let me know how they are. I got 8 coming from a guy in Iowa but just the Rhizome...not the crown. And a guy here locally has a bunch for 2.00 and another guy has some freebies.... I need more land!!!!

I saw that Iowa grown rhizomes right? I'll find out how it looks tomorrow check back I'll post a picture

Got it today. In a bit of rough shape. The bones were a bit rotten but I cut that away and planted the root so we will see I guess

I found a local guy who wants to get trid of his 4 yo hops as he planting blackberries. I swung buy and got about 12-15 plants. His were already about 3-4 high. Considering all the rain we've had here in IL that's pretty good. Got huge crowns. Mt hood. Cascade willamette and can't remember the fourth. Plus my Iowa rhizomes came in. And I notice 3 more of my 6 are coming up. So I'm 4/6 for the new ones. Woo hoo!

Back