Which Beersmith vessel to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
... when making an extract recipe from scratch?

Recipe is as follows:

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.27 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.90 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal   
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 9.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 50.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
7 lbs                 Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM)              Dry Extract   4        77.8 %        
1.0 pkg               Safale American  (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)  Yeast         15       -             
8.0 oz                Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)                    Grain         3        5.6 %         
0.25 oz               Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           5        7.8 IBUs      
8.0 oz                Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain         2        5.6 %         
0.50 oz               Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min         Hop           6        9.1 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min         Hop           8        7.4 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           10       5.4 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Mosaic [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min          Hop           13       3.0 IBUs      
0.50 oz               Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           11       5.7 IBUs      
1 lbs                 Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)                    Grain         1        11.1 %        
0.25 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min          Hop           7        4.4 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min          Hop           9        3.6 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min          Hop           12       2.6 IBUs      
0.25 oz               Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min           Hop           14       1.4 IBUs

So, my final wort volume was 5 gallons. Measured OG was 1.072, considerably higher than the predicted 1.063. I mashed the 2lbs of grains at 158 for 45 mins, hoping to keep more of the sugars non-fermentable. It also tastes more bitter than I would have imagined, but it mellowing out a bit now. (In keg, little over 3 weeks old now)

So, for making this recipe I chose as a vessel the "Pot and Cooler (5 Gal/19L - extract partial mash)"

Is that correct? Is that a normal fluctuation? Beer is tasty by the way, but I am just not sure I am a huge fan of this citra. It's a bit overpowering, and maybe wasn't good to pair Citra with Mosaic.

Your mash efficiency is listed as 0 % so it is not taking into account the gravity from your mini mash. At 72 % you should get 51 gravity pts out of 2 lbs of grain, in other words about 10 more gravity pts per gallon which would put you right around 1.073 which you were. I think you might have it set to extract not partial mash.

Your mash efficiency is listed as 0 % so it is not taking into account the gravity from your mini mash. At 72 % you should get 51 gravity pts out of 2 lbs of grain, in other words about 10 more gravity pts per gallon which would put you right around 1.073 which you were. I think you might have it set to extract not partial mash.

Ok that makes sense. I figured it was more of an operator error problem. I still expected it to be sweeter and not so bitter, but that's more of a recipe thing. I will look at setting those parameters in the future. Thanks! (I just checked and indeed I was set at extract, and not partial mash. Setting to partial mash gave me the proper numbers. DOH!)

I may have to play with it some more I guess. I entered in my measured OG, and now it's telling me I have an est. mash eff of 146.9%.

What was the FG? You're right, the BU:GU ratio is only .69. I wouldn't expect that to be overly bitter. Maybe it will mellow as you say.
:mug:

Yeah I think I might have. I admit I haven't put enough research into it as I was going off of others recipes. I will practice taking recipes, inputting them and correcting for my equipment, see if I get the same numbers on the other side, and then do an actual brew.

Back