(Session) Yeti Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plainbrad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Opens w roasty, chocolate, coffee malt flavor that gives way to toffee notes.
I've always loved the taste of Great Divide's Yeti stout (I Believe) but it's high alcohol content was a bit too much for me at times. So, this is my 2.5G session version of Yeti. It's gotten great reviews from those who have drank it.

If you brew it, let me know what you think.

2 lbs Maris Otter (Crisp) (3.5 SRM) Grain 36.5%
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 36.5%
5.0 oz Dark Crystal (120.0 SRM) Grain 5.7%
4.0 oz Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.6%
4.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 4.6%
3.6 oz Black (Crisp) (680.0 SRM) Grain 4.1%
3.6 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.1%
3.6 oz Roasted Barley (Crisp) (695.0 SRM) Grain 4.1%
0.50 oz Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop
0.35 oz Chinook [11.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop
0.35 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop
0.30 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop
0.5 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast (rehydrated)

I'll be making this this weekend. I'm a big fan of the yeti espresso, any ideas on how much cold brewed coffee to add to a 5 gallon batch of this? I was thinking 4 or 5 ounces, but I don't know for sure.

I'll be making this this weekend. I'm a big fan of the yeti espresso, any ideas on how much cold brewed coffee to add to a 5 gallon batch of this? I was thinking 4 or 5 ounces, but I don't know for sure.

I had always heard 2oz of coffee grounds for a 5G batch. I think too much more and the coffee flavors might overwhelm the beer. The combination of roasted grains already offers some coffee tones to the beer. Anything over 3 oz would be too much.

I had always heard 2oz of coffee grounds for a 5G batch. I think too much more and the coffee flavors might overwhelm the beer. The combination of roasted grains already offers some coffee tones to the beer. Anything over 3 oz would be too much.

Cool, thanks for the heads up, I am hoping to get to this one real soon. I've only had the yeti once, but I remember it fondly.

Brewed this today, worked out pretty smooth actually. I bumped up the maris otter, and ended up with an OG of 1.064. Here's to hoping it turns out, I'll let you know in a few weeks.

A couple minutes after pouring

mHaeGIw.jpg

This turned into quite a fanstastic stout, wow. Doing it again, I would probably back off the late addition hops, but that's just me. The hops in mine really took on a prominent taste, and I would prefer a little more roasted malt character.

This turned into quite a fanstastic stout, wow. Doing it again, I would probably back off the late addition hops, but that's just me. The hops in mine really took on a prominent taste, and I would prefer a little more roasted malt character.

Remember that hops taste will fade. I've made a few versions of this now and I find that the rye really is important.

I recently brewed this without the rye and substituting all the hops with Simcoe. My friends were so disappointed that I hadn't just brewed it the way they liked it - which is the recipe I posted - and I've agreed to go back to and stick with this one for them.

I'm glad you liked it!

Back