stuck fermentation from s05 in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
i made a cider starter with some yeast nutrient and s-05 dregs. the starter was 4.5 litres and was visibly fermenting, after about 36 hours i added 1.5 litres of apple juice and 3 litres of pear juice. now it seems to have stopped fermenting as there are no visible signs and the OG is 1.022 after 5 days.. any ideas on if its actually stuck or just nearing FG?

I understand your current gravity is 1.022. What was your OG? I think S-05 lives to about 12%abv so I'm curious to see where your abv is at now. If that is well under 12% then maybe the cider needs some agitation to introduce some O2. Last question, what Temp is your fermenter at? Also perhaps the S-05 could just be slowing down.

its normal strength cider from just apple juice. high 60s ferm temp. i checked today and it was down to 1.008, but it just looked like it wasnt doing anything...

Back