hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighoss44

Reaction score
i made some hard cider from 100% juice and bottle conditioned it i tryed some today and it is like a dry champiane with a lil hint of apple anybody have any suggestions for the next batch i did not use frozen contrate to bottle with i use sugar but dont me wrong it is not that bad

Sounds like every dry cider I've ever had.
What I used to do with these was put about 1-2oz of apple juice into a glass (pint), then fill it with the bottle of hard cider. Tada!, instant semi-sweet cider.
There's a way to backsweeten with juice that will not create bottle bombs, but it involves either pasturizing or sorbate and campden tablets.

i think i have read something bout that but dont know to pasturize it would you do that before or after bottle conditioning

After.

Basically you add some apple juice or juice concentrate, mix and bottle like normal. Then check the carbonation level by opening 1 bottle a day or two later. Once the carbonation level is correct you need to pasturize that day...otherwise the sugars will continue to ferment until the bottles explode.

Try reading this link for more/better info.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295/

You can find a semi sweet wine yeast. One that doesn't have high alcohol tolerance. I don't know how much carbonation you would end up getting though.

The easiest method though is to start legging. Then you can use wine conditioner to stop the fermentation and back sweeten. You can also use glycerine to up the body some. Then just force carbonate to your desired level of carbonation. This is the method I used for my hard cider a few years ago and it worked great.

He meant to say "kegging" :drunk:

You'd need a corny keg, CO2 tank, regulator, lines, and faucet.

There are other options including backsweetening with artificial sweetener. Check out the cider forum.

I keg my cider. I do about 1/2 gallon of fresh juice (high quality good stuff) mixed with 4.5 gallons of fermented apple juice. Works very well. I don't use potassium sorbet or campton tablets. It is semi sweet and tastes awesome. I have not found a way of doing this while bottle conditioning so I do not bottle my cider.

Back