what's this cold break every one keeps talking about?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woozy

Reaction score
I've either never had it or don't know what you're talking about.

I've either never had it or don't know what you're talking about.

You'll know when you have one. Haha! :mug:

But for real cold break is the material that comes out of solution when your wort gets chilled from boiling to pitching quickly. It's mostly proteins and hop material from my understanding.

Whether the chunks are small or large,it looks like wet popcorn mixed with trub & yeast to me. mostly coagulated proteins.

How much whirlfloc should I use for 2 gallon batches.? Bought these tablers (2 grams) for 5 gallon batches and have been cutting them in half. Seems like they cause the stuff to clump a bit but not by a huge amount.

How much whirlfloc should I use for 2 gallon batches.? Bought these tablers (2 grams) for 5 gallon batches and have been cutting them in half. Seems like they cause the stuff to clump a bit but not by a huge amount.

1/4 tablet would work, but 1/2 tablet is ok as well.

How bout a full tablet? Seems like they could work a little harder. But I don't have a standard by which to judge their performance.

What, if anything, happens if you over do it with the whirlfloc?

Latest posts

Back