Hey, don't throw that away...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desvio

Reaction score
So we have all heard that we can use our spent grains to make dog cookies, saving trub for future batches or other yeasty experiments. Just recently I finished brewing a smoked chipotle porter, but instead of throwing the spent peppers from the secondary away, I used the beer brined peppers to marinade some nice steaks for 24 hours. Also used the cinnamon sticks that were steeped in my priming solution got crushed and along with some leftover primer it got drizzled over some raspberries for desert.

The steaks turned out un-freaking believable by the way, a rare treat seeing how I don’t brew that specific beer often.

So what have you done with your beer making leftovers?

My wife discovered that website and has since taken a greater interest in the brewing hobby. She made the falafel, a loaf of bread and some tabbouleh with my last batch. It was delicious.

The falafel is another one I want to try. But a herb/seed grinder is needed to make flour for some of the recipes. The ones that look like battery powered coffee grinders. Gotta get the car fixed so I can check out bed,bath,& way beyonds' kitchen section for one.

The falafel is another one I want to try. But a herb/seed grinder is needed to make flour for some of the recipes. The ones that look like battery powered coffee grinders. Gotta get the car fixed so I can check out bed,bath,& way beyonds' kitchen section for one.

Yeah I show the falafel one to the wife, and now appears we have to make that one too.

Being an avid latin style foodie, I use my mortar/pestle and my stone grinder but also have an herb grinder. Stuff has really come in handy with my brewing experiments.

The husks get crushed the same whether for steeping or mashing. Grain crushers leave them more intact for improving the filtering ability of the grain bed. I bet that stone grinder would work real well for spent grains dried out.

Awesome link, thanks for that. I've been putting my spent grains in the compost heap, I think now i may use some for those recipes.

Back