what is a "big beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbzdel

Reaction score
What does it mean when someone refers to a "big beer", is this in regards to ABV? And what is the tipping point between a "big beer" and a normal beer??

I am reading about certain equipment and how its great if you dont brew 5gal batches of "big beers", ok well I am not sure if I even like "big beers" at this point haha

Its hard to do a search for this as just random times "big beer" have been used are coming up.

Any beer that has an original gravity (OG) of 1.070 or greater.

It's a subjective thing. Some people might think anything over 1.065. Others might think anything over 1.080.

Big beers mean higher OG, which typically translates to higher ABV, but for brewing purposes will require more grain and mash tun volume.

As far as where is the line between normal beers and big beers, that's a bit subjective, like asking what color is grey. For me, though, anything over 1.060 is getting into "big beer" territory.

Listen... It's not the size of your beer that counts... it's what you do with it!

+1 on amandabab

I call it 1.070-80+ To me there is a grey area where you might have a lighter body/higher alcohol or heavier body/less alcohol depending on the style

Come on guys... It's obviously anything over a starting gravity of 1.07742321 and nothing less...

Seriously though, that 8% is a pretty nice marker for me

I think of a "big beer" as a beer that requires more finesse in brewing. A bigger grainbill, more yeast cells, more yeast pampering, longer aging time, and more "boozy" flavor that may need some aging.

I think it can start as low as 1.070ish as far as yeast concerns, but a "big beer" is normally something like a barley wine or Russian imperial stout or a beer that can be tough to brew. A 1.075 IPA is nothin'! :p Anybody can do that- including me! But a 1.095 barley wine can be challenging.

I never really heard a definition of "big beer" but I normally think of a big beer as a higher OG beer that may have complex flavors (ie oak, smoke, roast) and may require some technical expertise to get it to finish appropriately.

Does *final* gravity have any play in determining "bigness"? I mean, hypothetically would an OG 1.06 FG 1.005 (difference .055) be considered smaller than an OG 1.07 FG 1.019 (difference .051) even though the first beer has a higher ABV?

Back