can i use this pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg35884

Reaction score
I have this pump I previously used it to recirculating ice water from a cooler through an immersion chiller. I was wondering if I could use for something else in the process. What do y'all think?

ForumRunner_20130423_174025.jpg

If you want an informed answer, define "something else in the process".

Most diaphragm pumps are not going to be happy handling boiling water or boiling wort, for example, so those aren't going to be the "something else"...

Cheers!

If you want an informed answer, define "something else in the process".

Most diaphragm pumps are not going to be happy handling boiling water or boiling wort, for example, so those aren't going to be the "something else"...

Cheers!

I was thinking maybe recirculating the mash? Do you think it would handle those temps? I am fairly unfamiliar with pumps and temperatures. Thank you for your help, do you think it would work?

When you start to think about a pump, you need a march or a chugger pump.

it hurts, I know, there aren't a lot of cheap options.

In the process of your brew day... I don't think so. But you could use it to transfer the fermented beer between containers or through a filter.

what cheap options for a sanitary, high temp, decent transfer rate, fluid pump would you suggest?

There are several options. One of the most updated threads I see on here is the one about the cheap wort pump that guys are getting on ebay for 20 bucks or somewhere in that price range. It is getting a lot of good reviews when it is used properly. How about little giant? How about the greatbreweh pump line that is, not to mention, half the price of your chugger or march.

To the OP, don't get too caught up in the latest and greatest or the guys that act like you have to have them. I was looking into pumps recently and have decided that I can get a very serviceable pump at half the cost ($70) of the high end chuggers or march. It seems to me that unless you are brewing ALOT and/or huge batches then these lesser models will work just fine for an average brewer like myself.

This type of chest thumping is just senseless. Reminds me a lot of all these tough guy IPA brewers that will tell you that you're not manly because you aren't putting enough hops in your brews. More (or in this case more expensive) is not necessarily always better.

Lol I am absolutely clueless as to what's going on here. I was just asking because I have this pump already and was wondering if it will adversely affect the wort or if the temps would be to much for it. Thank you for your input...do you think it will be a good recirculation pump for the mash tun and sparging process?

[...]do you think it will be a good recirculation pump for the mash tun and sparging process?

I couldn't quite make out the Shurflo model number from your picture, but I got most of what I think might be "2088-423-344".

If that's the correct model number, then here is the manual for it.
And in the manual you'll find "Liquid: 130 °F [54 °C] Max".

So, you can't use it for moving sparge water or hot wort...

Cheers!

I couldn't quite make out the Shurflo model number from your picture, but I got most of what I think might be "2088-423-344".

If that's the correct model number, then here is the manual for it.
And in the manual you'll find "Liquid: 130 °F [54 °C] Max".

So, you can't use it for moving sparge water or hot wort...

Cheers!

Wow! That was awesome thank you so much!

Back