Cleaning & De-Labeling scrounged bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterZ

Reaction score
Thought I'd pass on this tip
Went to my local recycling center today and came home with about a hundred Summit empties.
I soaked them in Star San thinking if they sat long enough the labels would come off easily.
Nope. Still needed a -lot- of scraping and scrubbing.
Tried PBW at minimal concentration and after a good soak the labels & adhesive melted right off.
Huge time / effort saver.

Why would you think starsan would do it? It's a sanitizer NOT a cleanser.....That's why there's millions of threads on here about cleaning and delabling bottles with OXYCLEAN or PBW....NOT starsan. ;)

The trick is the bubbles.

Revvy said:
Why would you think starsan would do it? It's a sanitizer NOT a cleanser.....That's why there's millions of threads on here about cleaning and delabling bottles with OXYCLEAN or PBW....NOT starsan. ;)

The trick is the bubbles.

Hell, Idunno, guess I assumed the glue would be water soluble. Newbie bumpin' along learning on the fly here.

I mix PBW in the ratio of 1.5ozs to 1 gallon of water. Great for making the labels float right off,& softening the glue or dissolving it. A dobie & bottle brush complete the job. Rinse & onto the bottle tree to dry before storage.

Yup, I soak in a plastic tub of hot water and PBW or Oxyclean for a few hours or overnight even. Labels are floating at that point. Have never had to work to get one off. Just rinse each bottle completely with warm water to remove any cleanser film. After that, its StarSan at bottling time.

Back