herms coil issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaksha808

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am having an issue with my herms coil falling to the bottom of my kettle when it is fully connected, it doesnt hold itself up like I have seen in other builds. I have been trying to figure out if anyone else has had this issue but as of yet have not had any luck. I have been told that I could use a socket holder to keep the coils up and it seems like it could work im just worried that since it is nickle plated steel I might have some leaching into the water. I would love some help in this matter as I am rather frustrated with it right now.
Thanks!

How is it connected? I use compression fittings. It doesn't even move unless you try to bend it.

I do not have any pictures of it put together as i didn't want to keep it attached at mess up the walls of the kettle, but the coil has zero extra bends on it at all

Well with stainless steel and tight compression fittings the only thing I can think of is that you need to tighten the weldless connections.

I use copper and it works great so I assume SS is certainly rigid enough to hold its looped shape without drooping. Do you have a particularly large coil?

If you have a piece of ss tubing left you could make a leg for the side opposite of your connections in the kettle wall to support it. You could either solder it on or get some ss wire and attach it that way. You could even use a piece of 1/2 copper pipe if you don't have any more ss tubing.

If I'm understanding your problem correctly. I would try and get some stainless zip ties. They sell them at harbor freight

Back