I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tunes anybody? I might get deep so skip to the video if you don't feel like reading a few lines.

First off. Billy Jack. Okay it's a movie. He was a Native American who became a Marine, maybe Army. Either way, the guy in the movie served our country. He went back home after combat tours. Once he got there he hooked up with a group of American natives who were shunned by the local townspeople.

Maybe the movie is far fetched. I was around 7 years old when it came out. That's not important.

This would probably be better posted on the hippy thread. Both this and that little thread have no theme except good people coming together.

I'm going to post this on both threads.

If you listen to it please read the description from the person who posted it on YouTube.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why I tell you all so much but I do.

I'm leaving for Hawaii day after tomorrow to visit my wife. We have been apart for the last 2 years, 4 months and 17 days. We have spent weeks together during that time here or there. But day to day with out her I'm just a shell.

I'm moving to Hawaii by the end of the year or sooner. Going to take a big leap of faith that I find a job there. My wife is from Hawaii and moved to the mainland with me while I was active duty military. Second marriages for both of us, no offspring between us but we both have children from previous marriages.

Why we been apart so long? I was suppose to get a job in Hawaii after I retired from the military. It didn't work out. Some bad stuff happened after that and I couldn't leave CA. I'm at a point now I'm ready to take a big leap of faith.

I spend quite a bit of my time on HBT now and do enjoy the friendship and camaraderie and support I've found here. Many very wonderful people on this site.

This sounds a bit demanding and probably is. Please send good vibes, a silent prayer, for Jan and I to be back together again. Healthy, safe and a happy life together.

Dan

I'm leaving for Hawaii day after tomorrow to visit my wife. We have been apart for the last 2 years, 4 months and 17 days. We have spent weeks together during that time here or there. But day to day with out her I'm just a shell.

I'm moving to Hawaii by the end of the year or sooner. Going to take a big leap of faith that I find a job there. My wife is from Hawaii and moved to the mainland with me while I was active duty military. Second marriages for both of us, no offspring between us but we both have children from previous marriages.

Why we been apart so long? I was suppose to get a job in Hawaii after I retired from the military. It didn't work out. Some bad stuff happened after that and I couldn't leave CA. I'm at a point now I'm ready to take a big leap of faith.

I spend quite a bit of my time on HBT now and do enjoy the friendship and camaraderie and support I've found here. Many very wonderful people on this site.

This sounds a bit demanding and probably is. Please send good vibes, a silent prayer, for Jan and I to be back together again. Healthy, safe and a happy life together.

Dan

Pomaika`i, hoapili!

You go Dan.

I wish I had some kind of stat for second marriages. I know my second one is my last one and that while there are still problems to work through it is a ton easier than the first one was.

Hmm I wonder why that is. I guess because as a older person we are not disillusioned about what marriage is but get married for love first and foremost.

You go Dan.

I wish I had some kind of stat for second marriages. I know my second one is my last one and that while there are still problems to work through it is a ton easier than the first one was.

Hmm I wonder why that is. I guess because as a older person we are not disillusioned about what marriage is but get married for love first and foremost.

I hope I'm 1 and done. I held out stubbornly until the ripe old age of 32 in an attempt to grow up adequately before I took the plunge.

Dan

You go Dan! I was 40 when I married the first and only time. Couldn't see myself raising a family or even being married while I was punching holes in the ocean all those years. I wouldn't trade my wife for anything!
Be with your friend, partner, lover and mate and have peace in your lives together. Know that we are your friends, for both of you!

Long distance relationships rarely work out from what I have seen, so I think you are making the right choice to make the move. I'm sure the job thing will work out great too, with your experience, etc. They will be lucky to have you.

So today I woke up feeling a little dizzy and was convinced I must be experiencing liver failure. Because I was reading a couple days ago that the medication I am on can cause liver problems and acute liver failure on rare occasions. Plus knowing that beer isn't good for my liver either. So I looked up the symptoms of liver failure and it did mention dizziness, and although I had none of the other symptoms(staring at my eyeballs to see if they looked yellow), I was still convinced it must be acute liver failure. Just in case, today I bought the ingredients for a liver cleanse thing. Should be yummy with grapefruit, lemon and garlic as some of the main ingredients for the juice drink. I have never had a doctor tell me there was anything wrong with my liver, but you can't be too safe.

I figure if I do this cleanse thing once a month, I should be able to keep taking the meds and still enjoy my beer.

So tomorrow I'm going to try and make another batch of the cheese I made a few weeks ago. As an update... It was supposed to be a batch of Mozz, but I got lazy and let the milk expire before I made the cheese. It made a crumbly, almost cheddar like cheese instead of Mozz. It reminded me a lot of some Stilton with blueberries that I buy from my local grocery store. So, I let the milk expire again, and I bought frozen blueberries. I'm going to see if I can sort of duplicate the stilton, because it's oh so good. Best cheese with IPA that I've ever had....

So tomorrow I'm going to try and make another batch of the cheese I made a few weeks ago. As an update... It was supposed to be a batch of Mozz, but I got lazy and let the milk expire before I made the cheese. It made a crumbly, almost cheddar like cheese instead of Mozz. It reminded me a lot of some Stilton with blueberries that I buy from my local grocery store. So, I let the milk expire again, and I bought frozen blueberries. I'm going to see if I can sort of duplicate the stilton, because it's oh so good. Best cheese with IPA that I've ever had....

Making cheese is something I have not tried yet although someone *couch-yooper-couch* promised me a gallon of raw goat's milk a few years back to get me started. I wanted to make some feta...

Are you just using standard grocery milk or raw? Sorry, I am quite ignorant on the topic.

I hope your cheese turns out great!
And I'm betting that tomorrow will be a day of celebration and thanks in Beantown! :)
Thanks Sharona! I'm pretty sure you're right about Beantown!

Making cheese is something I have not tried yet although someone *couch-yooper-couch* promised me a gallon of raw goat's milk a few years back to get me started. I wanted to make some feta...

Are you just using standard grocery milk or raw? Sorry, I am quite ignorant on the topic.

I'm just using grocery store milk. I don't even know if I could get raw milk here, but I bet that would make some good cheese!

Somebody told me the cheese likely turned out the way it did because the sugars started to turn to lactic acid after it expired, so I'm considering putting a drop or two of lactic acid from my brewing stuff in the mix. I haven't decided on that, though...

Long distance relationships rarely work out from what I have seen, so I think you are making the right choice to make the move. I'm sure the job thing will work out great too, with your experience, etc. They will be lucky to have you.

So today I woke up feeling a little dizzy and was convinced I must be experiencing liver failure. Because I was reading a couple days ago that the medication I am on can cause liver problems and acute liver failure on rare occasions. Plus knowing that beer isn't good for my liver either. So I looked up the symptoms of liver failure and it did mention dizziness, and although I had none of the other symptoms(staring at my eyeballs to see if they looked yellow), I was still convinced it must be acute liver failure. Just in case, today I bought the ingredients for a liver cleanse thing. Should be yummy with grapefruit, lemon and garlic as some of the main ingredients for the juice drink. I have never had a doctor tell me there was anything wrong with my liver, but you can't be too safe.

I figure if I do this cleanse thing once a month, I should be able to keep taking the meds and still enjoy my beer.
If you are on medication, you might want to check and see if it interacts with grapefruit before you eat or drink any. A really astonishing number of medications do.

Good luck. If the proteins aren't coagulating once the milk is hot try adding some vinegar. For soured milk you usually don't need much more then 1/4 cup. Make sure you keep the milk under 165f or you might end up with mozzarella anyway.

That's what I do. Ricotta, mozzarella, and colby so far.

lschiavo said:

Hmm. My nearby cousin has a dairy goat farm :)

Stauffbier said:
Thanks Sharona! I'm pretty sure you're right about Beantown!

My son and his fiancé had a party bus bachelor/bachelorette party planned in Boston tomorrow, but tentatively changed the plan. I'm thinking we should still go to the great city of Boston!

passedpawn said:

Thanks for sharing.

Melancholy. I guess there is no getting around it tonight or the last few days. And to top it off, I have barely seen the sun in the last few weeks. I think by the middle of next week it may stop snowing/raining and get into the 40's. I think I'll just drink beer until then...

Good luck. If the proteins aren't coagulating once the milk is hot try adding some vinegar. For soured milk you usually don't need much more then 1/4 cup. Make sure you keep the milk under 165f or you might end up with mozzarella anyway..
That's great advice! Thanks!

Sucks losing a parent. It hurts, unexpectedly, but the pain passes quickly enough, leaving just the great memories.
I don't look forward to that day. Without looking like a mama's boy I gotta say my mother is my best friend.

My son and his fiancé had a party bus bachelor/bachelorette party planned in Boston tomorrow, but tentatively changed the plan. I'm thinking we should still go to the great city of Boston.

Yes. Boston needs your support in any fashion.

If you ever find yourself in the west Texas town of El Paso, you're always welcome at my house for all the beer you can consume my friend!

Careful, I am looking for a good excuse to get out of here for a week or two:D

Seriously, though if you ever find yourself in the UP, you are hopelessly lost! But you do have a friend here that might have some homebrew or knows where to get some.

passedpawn said:
Sucks losing a parent. It hurts, unexpectedly, but the pain passes quickly enough, leaving just the great memories.

My dad claimed to have acquired his taste for beer during WWII. As I remember the story, he was stationed in the Philippines and had to wait in the hot sun to ferry some officers back to his ship. Someone brought a couple of cold ones as a treat, and they really hit the spot.

My father was a machinist by trade, and loved to build things in his basement. He and his cousin worked on a project for the cousin's son's lobster restaurant/store in Maine. My dad built a roller machine that squeezed the meat from the little lobster legs, keeping it intact and useable. This greatly increased the profitability of the business and he'd always get a pound or two of tender lobster leg meat when his cousin came to visit us in MA. What I don't remember is where did all the test lobsters go? Maybe the cousin brought bags of little legs for test purposes.

And back to the original thought! I really wish my dad was here to build me a grain mill. He'd love the project, and I'd have something he made.
The best part is, really, thinking about Everett every time I brew or even look at a grain mill. Just seeing a well-made or novel machine makes me happy.

That's great advice! Thanks!
I may have another method for making mozzarella for you in a couple weeks. My accidental mozzarella has got the gears turning. I think there is a much easier way to make it then the moderately annoying process I've been using.

My dad claimed to have acquired his taste for beer during WWII. As I remember the story, he was stationed in the Philippines and had to wait in the hot sun to ferry some officers back to his ship. Someone brought a couple of cold ones as a treat, and they really hit the spot.

My father was a machinist by trade, and loved to build things in his basement. He and his cousin worked on a project for the cousin's son's lobster restaurant/store in Maine. My dad built a roller machine that squeezed the meat from the little lobster legs, keeping it intact and useable. This greatly increased the profitability of the business and he'd always get a pound or two of tender lobster leg meat when his cousin came to visit us in MA. What I don't remember is where did all the test lobsters go? Maybe the cousin brought bags of little legs for test purposes.

And back to the original thought! I really wish my dad was here to build me a grain mill. He'd love the project, and I'd have something he made.
The best part is, really, thinking about Everett every time I brew or even look at a grain mill. Just seeing a well-made or novel machine makes me happy.
I have exactly one pleasant memory of my father. I'm glad you hold those memories so close to your heart.

I may have another method for making mozzarella for you in a couple weeks. My accidental mozzarella has got the gears turning. I think there is a much easier way to make it then the moderately annoying process I've been using.

Let me in on it too. Everyone loves mozzarella! It would be a great project with the kids.

If you are on medication, you might want to check and see if it interacts with grapefruit before you eat or drink any. A really astonishing number of medications do.

Well, crap, I already interacted them!!! Found this online checking interactions:

A substance in grapefruits suppresses the action of this enzyme, which results in more (this drug) getting into the bloodstream than prescribed. Having abnormally high levels of (this drug) in your bloodstream might cause a dangerous reaction.

Oh crap, now I probably overdosed on my meds!!!! And it wasn't even my liver making me dizzy, hubby says it's my ears. They have been itchy from allergies and hubby says I can't hear ****. We watched a movie together and it had to be full blast for me to hear it, my ears are a little clogged, that would explain the dizziness, even when I turn my head to fast. Well, I hope I don't die from something else now.

Cheers!! Boston is partying tonight!!!

I have exactly one pleasant memory of my father. I'm glad you hold those memories so close to your heart.

I have mentioned my grandfather on here many times, my dad, not so much. There are reasons for that. Yes, hold those memories close.

Let me in on it too. Everyone loves mozzarella! It would be a great project with the kids.
Will do. I just need to get some more skim milk. I'm thinking the presence of the fat in the whole milk I've been using has been inhibiting the formation of the long chain proteins that make mozzarella mozzarella. I'll have to run some experiments, but I think you can simplify the process down to something like this.

Heat skim milk to 145f ish. Add citric acid solution until proteins coagulate to the point where the whey is turning yellow. Heat milk to 165f ish stirring gently. Pour milk and curd through colander. Dump curd into bowl. Add salt. Knead until the liquid pockets have been removed.

It needs some testing. I wasn't using a thermometer when I made the accidental mozzarella, just guessing on the temps based on how hot the whey felt. I was also using vinegar, not citric acid solution like I plan to next. The vinegar left a tang behind that I don't feel is appropriate for mozzarella. Not bad, but not exactly what I want making mozzarella. I also didn't measure the vinegar, just poured it in in little steps and stirred until the whey started turning yellow.

Leadgolem said:

I'm truly sorry for the single pleasant memory, yet glad there is at least the one.

As I've gotten older, I see that my father spent more time and money on his hobbies than he should have. And this realization made me consider my mom's position; widowed with a crumbling, neglected house and a basement full of items useless to her and troublesome to liquidate. A vision of my future that I just couldn't handle, and one of the reasons I finally initiated divorce proceedings. Another lesson from my dad. I take it as learning from others' experience. Which is really all that a parent can hope for- that our kids will someday avoid our mistakes.

Back