Freezer size for Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devils4ever

Reaction score
Okay, I've been trying to decide between a freezer or a Son of Fermenter chamber. I think I decided to go for the freezer because the cost doesn't seem that much more and it's a lot more convenient.

What size freezer would be the minimum size for 5 gal and/or 6 gal carboys? I'm thinking an upright would be easier to load and unload than a chest style.

Also, I really like my beers. How much better will they be by dropping the temperature during fermentation? Most yeasts seem to like it between 62F and 72F. I can keep that upper range at room temperature.

Cheers!

I've used a chest freezer (now my keezer), an upright freezer (now my cold-crash/lagering chamber) and now a fridge (all controlled by an STC-1000) to ferment.

The upright freezer or fridge is easier to get bucket/carboys in and out of for sure. I could fit two 6.5 gallon buckets in the upright after I removed the plastic door shelves.

Controlling your temps will cause a significant improvement in the quality of your brews. What's going on inside the fermenter during the first 5 days or so can get 7-10*F hotter than the room temp. If your room temp is 72*F, your beer may be getting up over 80*F during the most active phase.

With a controlled fermenter chamber, you can pitch/start the ferment cooler (at the low end of the optimal range, like 62*F), keep it there a week until it settles down and then edge it up 4-6*F to help the yeast clean up the by-products of their little party.

i've used a chest freezer (now my keezer), an upright freezer (now my cold-crash/lagering chamber) and now a fridge (all controlled by an stc-1000) to ferment.

The upright freezer or fridge is easier to get bucket/carboys in and out of for sure. I could fit two 6.5 gallon buckets in the upright after i removed the plastic door shelves.

Controlling your temps will cause a significant improvement in the quality of your brews. What's going on inside the fermenter during the first 5 days or so can get 7-10*f hotter than the room temp. If your room temp is 72*f, your beer may be getting up over 80*f during the most active phase.

With a controlled fermenter chamber, you can pitch/start the ferment cooler (at the low end of the optimal range, like 62*f), keep it there a week until it settles down and then edge it up 4-6*f to help the yeast clean up the by-products of their little party.

+1

If you ever want to ferment more than one or two carboys/buckets then a chest freezer is the way to go, plus they are generally cheaper. But the uprights are definitely more convenient as far as loading and whatnot.

Also, your beer can improve dramatically with proper temp control. You'd be amazed at how your ferm temp can get at ambient house temperatures.

I think I can get two carboys in my 7 cu ft GE freezer, but I would measure at the store just to make sure. Every model is probably a little different.

I picked up a new 7 cu ft. Holiday freezer from Lowes for $160 delivered. Fits two of my 6.5 gallon glass carboys (be sure to check at the store if yours fit). Also picked up a two stage temp controller/thermowell from MoreBeer. Total cost was ~$300. That was about a year ago, not sure what has changed since.

Well either way you have the fixed cost of buying a temp controller.

You can get a lot more chest freezer for the money than a fridge- I think I got my 7cf chest freezer for around 150 bucks. They are better sized for multiple carboys than a fridge.

That said, if you can find a used fridge for 25 bucks or something then that would work beautifully as well. Freezers are a bit more efficient due to having quite a bit more insulation but depending one where your chamber is located it probably won't be running all that much just to maintain 60-70 anyways.

Yep. I've used both. Both work fine. Whatever you can get a good deal on.

In order to fit two buckets in my upright freezer, I had to remove the molded shelving inside the door. No biggie with a Dremel and cutting wheel.;)

I would, however, shy away from side-by-side fridges due to space limitations.

Aside from the issues of size/space/availability, I've heard refrigerators recommended over freezers because they cycle on more often. The extra time spent active helps control the humidity. I have no first hand experience (yet, next on my to do list), but have any of you who have experience with both seen humidity problems using freezers?

Well, here's a thought. I already have a upright fridge for my kegs. Maybe, I should convert this into a fermentation chamber and buy a chest freezer for my kegs?

Great thread. I was jus thinking of going to fridge or freezer for fermenting. The temp in the valley jus jumped to 80 and I turned on the ac in house to keep the room I use at 70.

SCORE! My contractor friend scored me a small chest freezer! I'll move my kegs into this and add a tower for taps. Then, I'll use my fridge as a fermentation chamber.

eastcowboy said:
i am a newbie lol how do i make RUM in the freezer lol how long do i let the yeast ferment before i put it in the freezer?

Your not a noob, you're a troll.....we don't make rum here, read the rules or go away

Back