Brewing extract saison, filter or not to filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeerbeerbeerbeer-

Reaction score
I am currently brewing NB Petite saison d'Ete, with a wyeast french yeast starter, in a good big gap in the hop schedule. (Don't worry its 3 gallons of wort in a 7.5 gallon pot so it wont boil over). Ive got my big heavy duty asian pink pasta strainer and a couple muslin basg in the star san and ready to go. Should i Use them?

You can toss it all in the fermenting vessel, but I actually prefer to strain stuff out. Pouring through a strainer helps aerate and in my opinion it's just nice avoiding getting more stuff than necessary in the vessel. It won't hurt if you don't though.

Nice! Thank you so for the reassuring feeling. And ive honestly been thinking latey about picking up the double bass. U play? I don't play anything atm but plan to.

Yup, I play. Double Bass isn't an easy instrument to pick up but I'm not saying it's impossible. I started pretty late in life honestly. It also depends on what kind of music you want to play. If you want to play bluegrass and/or country type stuff you can keep it pretty simple but if you want to play jazz or classical it's definitely a challenge. Nothing wrong with bluegrass and country though. Either way it's a great instrument!

Also on the filtering thing if you're using pellet hops you'll get a lot of sludge in your strainer that the wort might not pass through easily, so you'll want to clear it periodically.

Yep. Ive done that couple times before. But this time I didn't filter just slowly poured, the hydro sample was clear tho, at 1.040. or slightly more. And I am defiantly the jazzy reggae ska type. We shall see. But my gf can wreak on the oboe!

I kind of think straining takes away some of the flavor profile. I do use a hop spider so I guess that is doing some straining but still quite a bit of hop material gets through it

I instead cold crash before bottling/keg so everything will drop out

I've got a few medals under my belt to prove my theory :)

Back