Tap Line Resistors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinrassier

Reaction score
I just got my coffin style keezer all set up. I did the calculations to get a "balanced" system at a normal 12 PSI of pressure. This gave me 7 feet of 1/4" hose. Apparently my math was a little wrong, or something, because it seems like it still comes out a bit fast and can cause a bit of foaming.

From what I can tell, there are the following solutions

* Run longer line
* run a "choker" line near the shank
* Find an inline resistor

I really don't want to run longer lines, one that actually would be expensive since I have 4 taps, and it is already getting a little cluttered with the length of hosing I have. Running a shorter line of smaller diameter hosing I don't think will work, as the coffin style keezer I have has the tail pieces a little further than 3/16" hosing would take me from my calculations.

I could do a choker line, I just need to find the right fittings. I would have to ask if I ran a choker line right before it gets to my tailpiece (which is for 1/4" tubing, but I think with some heat I could make it fit snug) would that cause foaming as it would go from 1/4" down to 3/16 then back up technically for the tail piece which is 1/4?

Lastly, it would be nice to be able to just add an in-line resistor of some sort. Has anyone had any luck with these? Has anyone found them anywhere?

Thanks for your help!

There are paint sticks from Mcmaster carr that go into the dip tubes to create some resistance.

Those online calculators for balancing line lengths are notoriously unreliable.

In general, if you're running 10-12psi and maintaining in the neighborhood of 40F for temperature, 8-10ft of 3/16" beer line will do the trick. I run 8ft of 3/16" at 11psi and 40F myself, and rarely ever have foaming issues. If I had it to do again, I'd probably add another foot or two to each of my lines just to eliminate those rare issues.

I tried the bayonet epoxy mixer mod... it didn't work.
I use 12 psi and 10' of 3/16" line, but I think I'm going to reduce it to 8' of line and 10 psi. My fridge is set to about 34 or 36 degrees, and after awhile, the beer is over carbed at 12 psi.

Also, go with 3/16" hose... you'll need to just about double the line length at 1/4".

Just swap it out for 3/16" hose and I'm guessing it will be about right. You can fit 3/16" hose on a 1/4" tailpiece without a problem (just warm it up with a bit of hot water first).

FWIW, I use close to 10' of 3/16" hose at around 10psi and 35deg.

Those online calculators for balancing line lengths are notoriously unreliable.

In general, if you're running 10-12psi and maintaining in the neighborhood of 40F for temperature, 8-10ft of 3/16" beer line will do the trick. I run 8ft of 3/16" at 11psi and 40F myself, and rarely ever have foaming issues. If I had it to do again, I'd probably add another foot or two to each of my lines just to eliminate those rare issues.

This.

Just swap it out for 3/16" hose and I'm guessing it will be about right. You can fit 3/16" hose on a 1/4" tailpiece without a problem (just warm it up with a bit of hot water first).

FWIW, I use close to 10' of 3/16" hose at around 10psi and 35deg.

Oh damn, I didn't notice that he said 1/4". Yep, 3/16" makes a big difference. I also run 10' per line.

Back