Seattle brewers... Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The wife and I will be leaving on an Alaskan cruise this July that's leaving from Seattle. Since Washington is one of 10 states I haven't been to the wife and I are spending a day in Seattle before we go out.

I'm looking for cool things to do (She wants to go to the Space Needle and Pike Place Market) but specifically I'd like to know if there are any great pubs around where we'll be. We're staying at the Warwick Hotel on Lenora street. Any good pubs or sites to see within walking distance?

Thanks in advance. :mug:

Well if your going to pikes place. There is a brew house that's there in the market called pike brewery. They also have a a trolley that takes you to all the brewery's around Seattle. I went was pretty cool, got to taste a lot of different brews

If you are looking for a one-stop shop to have a shot at trying a wide variety of local beers hit up the Beveridge Place Pub. 36 taps plus a ton of bottles. Make sure you try some Boundary Bay Beer if you find it. They are a bit further north out of Bellingham, but you can find it in Seattle. One of the best breweries in the state imo.

*edit: As far as other cool things to do, I always recommend the EMP (Experience Music Project). One of the best "museums" I have ever been to. Very near the Space Needle. Also the Pacific Science Center is really cool, but at that point you are talking about packing a whole lot of activities into a single day (especially if you also want to sit back and enjoy some brews).

If you are looking for a one-stop shop to have a shot at trying a wide variety of local beers hit up the Beveridge Place Pub. 36 taps plus a ton of bottles. Make sure you try some Boundary Bay Beer if you find it. They are a bit further north out of Bellingham, but you can find it in Seattle. One of the best breweries in the state imo.

*edit: As far as other cool things to do, I always recommend the EMP (Experience Music Project). One of the best "museums" I have ever been to. Very near the Space Needle. Also the Pacific Science Center is really cool, but at that point you are talking about packing a whole lot of activities into a single day (especially if you also want to sit back and enjoy some brews).

A music museum? Hell yeah, I'm there. Being an audio engineer and musician that's right up my alley. I will also try Beveridge Place. Thanks!

Well if your going to pikes place. There is a brew house that's there in the market called pike brewery. They also have a a trolley that takes you to all the brewery's around Seattle. I went was pretty cool, got to taste a lot of different brews

I'll definitely check out Pike Brewery. Thanks for the recommendation!

The Space Needle is really nice, but if you're on any kind of budget (dinner for two will easily run $150+) I suggest going for lunch.
You'll get your parking validated (if you're driving) and a really good lunch for about 1/2 of that. Get the lunar lander for desert!
After lunch, you can go up to the observation level where there is an outdoor deck and a bar.
On the other hand, it's hard to beat a sunset dinner from the Space Needle.

EMP rocks, but be prepared to spend 2 to 4 hours minimum.

A lot of good places for brews in the area, and we have seen a large growth of beer houses that have a stupid number of taps. I have no idea how they manage to keep their lines clean.

If you are looking for local brew houses, there are some great ones in Seattle, but from downtown you could go to SoDo where there are a handful of nanobreweries going in the industrial district: http://www.seattlemet.com/bars-and-...slideshow-the-nanobreweries-of-sodo-june-2011

Old article, check addresses, but they're still there.

EMP is good. Pioneer square is good if you want history, but otherwise it is filled with bums - has a great tour though. Seattle Center is surrounded by a wasteland, but is otherwise good.

If you are looking for cocktails downtown try Zigzag, they have great bartenders. If you are looking for high-quality fish dinner that will not completely break the bank go to Steelhead Diner (try the crab cakes) in the Pike Place Market. If you want to break the bank (but the lunch menu is reasonable) and eat fresh oysters, give BlueAcre a try. If you want Italian, Pink Door can be fun on the right night of the week (they have trapeze artists sometimes). But one of the best Italian places in town is La Medusa in Columbia City (take the lightrail and walk a few blocks).

SeattleMet just put out a new bar list: http://www.seattlemet.com/bars-and-...articles/where-to-eat-now-in-a-bar-march-2013 Might want to glaze over that one.

If you have time and want to get to know Seattle, pick a few neighborhoods to visit and walk them. The University of Washington is a gorgeous campus and an interesting district; Capitol Hill has some excellent restaurants, parks, and ice cream options (Molly Moons!); Queen Anne is fun, but a bit of a shriveled nipple for content these days; Ballard and Fremont are out of the way, but have a lot of character, nosh, and brew; Columbia City is a small, seductive little micro-townlet within Seattle (there are dozens of others too, but it is fun).

Activities, go right the Seattle Wheel (someone has to take it for a spin), maybe do the museum. If you love cars and don't mind renting a car and driving a bit further go to Tacoma to the LeMay musem http://www.lemaymuseum.org/ (totally worth it), you could couple it with a microbrew tour by hitting up the micros between Seattle and Tacoma and back again - just make sure someone sober has the wheel.

If you want to see a pretty island, check out Bainbridge Island and while there go to Bainbridge Island Brewing: http://www.bainbridgebeer.com/

Von Trappes on Capitol Hill will give you a taste of Germany, sort of, is often crowded, is a bit too hipster-fratboyish at the moment (it will tone down, but it is new), but you can spend some time playing Bocce on the indoor courts so why not.

Want to enjoy some views from the waterfront, take a ferry to Bainbridge, or at least to West Seattle and then walk the waterfront. If you go around to Alki Point you will find dinner at several places, including Duke's (good food, not as good as it was five years ago) or Anthony's (far too expensive).

Quinn's sometimes has some solid microbrews from time to time.

What exactly are you looking for or do you like? I mean there are some amazing experiences in the area, but they can be expensive (like Canlis or Herbfarm) and amazing. Just depends on your time and dedication. And then there are some fun things to do, depending on what you like to do - take a day drive to the peninsula or up into the mountains, or just stay in town.

Oh .. and .. don't fall for the current Copper River Salmon hype, it's just hype, there is plenty of good salmon that's not stupid expensive, stupid fat, and always overcooked and dried out (lazy chefs).

Yard House pub in Seattle has over 100 taps and good food. Brouwers Cafe has around 64 taps and decent food.

I'm at The Pike Brewing Company. They're pretty legit. I got the sampler. The Pike XXXXX is pretty amazing and the Monk's Uncle is great as well.

1. Pike Chowder co. In Post Alley.
2. Smoked scalops...anywhere in the market.

Unfortunately I only had one day to spend in Seattle and the wife and I are beat. I wanted to hit up the EMP as well, but time didn't permit it.

Back