Dry hopping and clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblanks2

Reaction score
I have my first lager going into it's third week of lagering. I used Irish moss in the boil and transferred to secondary after a two week primary and D-rest. The beer is looking very clear.
I would like to do a dry hop of 1 ounce of Saaz for the last 7 days and wondered if this will cause any clarity issues?

Dry hopping can cause the lupulins (hop oils) to leave a slight haze. Even commercial beers that're dry hopped exhibit this trait. Lagers usually aren't dry hopped,but who know's what the next big thing will be? They're making IPL at a few breweries now (India Pale Lager).

Thanks for the reply. I have two batches of this going. I saw a Samuel Adams Noble pils clone recipe that called for the dry hops and thought this might add some additional aroma to my Czech Budvar clone. I may dry hop one as a comparison to the other not dry hopped. Thanks again.

With the right hops for lager or pilsner,yeah. Could be the next big thing,as brewing seems to be leaning that way in this country.

Dry hopping can cause the lupulins (hop oils) to leave a slight haze. Even commercial beers that're dry hopped exhibit this trait. Lagers usually aren't dry hopped,but who know's what the next big thing will be? They're making IPL at a few breweries now (India Pale Lager).

Ballast Point makes an IPL and it's tasty..but I still prefer a standard IPA.

Back