Recipe I'm Toying With - What do you Think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I'm thinking about brewing utilizing some grapefruit peel. I'm thinking I'll to an American Wheat as a based.

What do you think?

Approx OG: 1.050
Approx FG: 1.012
Approx IBU: 25

Wheat Malt 50%
2 Row 45%
Crystial Rye 5%

Cascade: FWH
Cascade: 15min
Cascade: 2 min

At 10min
.25oz Corriandor
.25oz Grapefruit Peel fresh
.25oz Orange Peel Fresh

Ferment with WLP029 - Kolsch Yeast

How do you feel about ditching the coriander and adding peppercorns? I'm imagining a big, spicy, citrus aroma and aftertaste. Perhaps something other than cascade would be better suited? Maybe get some amarillo in there with the cascade? Maybe bump up the ibu's a little, but keep it under 40-50. That citrus zest is going to add some bitterness, I'd bet. I like to put my zest in at 5-flame out. Whirlpool for a little more extraction.

inthesound said:
How do you feel about ditching the coriander and adding peppercorns? I'm imagining a big, spicy, citrus aroma and aftertaste. Perhaps something other than cascade would be better suited? Maybe get some amarillo in there with the cascade? Maybe bump up the ibu's a little, but keep it under 40-50. That citrus zest is going to add some bitterness, I'd bet. I like to put my zest in at 5-flame out. Whirlpool for a little more extraction.

I like that so would I use .25 peppercorns or how much. What's coriander in part vs the pepper?

I thought cascade would be good but I'm open to any hop. Was also thinking about squeezing the grapefruit juice directly Ito the fermenter-what do you think?

Well, I'm personally unfamiliar with brewing with peppercorns, but I would bank on a little going a long way. Not sure what your batch size is, but I'd go bigger on the zest additions if you're making a 5 gallon batch, and you ways have the option to use the zest and peppercorn in secondary if you want more aroma. In a 5 gallon batch, I would use something like an ounce of each flavor zest. I'm think .5oz of peppercorns would be great, but they you might want to smash them perhaps before adding them. I did this when I used juniper berries in a brew, and I think it's the same principle as pelletized hops, there's more surface area for the wort to come into contact with.

Lastly, make sure to avoid the pith (the white part) on your citrus. Oh and if you squeeze you grapefruit juice into the fermenter, I suspect that you'll up your abv with those sugars, however slight of an increase. It may be best to add the juice to the fermenter while you're chilling the wort, before it hits 170.

Sorry, I'm kind of rambling, hope this helps.

Back