Shandy????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look in mt recipes for "sharie's Summer Shandy. Looking back though,I'd add some lemon zest at 10 minutes left in the boil as well. It's improve the flavor a bit I think.

Take a lager you like.
Pour into a glass, filling half way
Take a sparkling lemonade like 7up
Top up the glass
Drink

I've been on the shandy quest for quite some time. So far I think the best is adding 2 oz lemon zest soaked in vodka for a couple days plus two 12 oz cans lemonade concentrate to secondary to a light beer (I've done wheat, blonde, and kolsch) that was mashed high (154-156*). Good luck!

Do you think the lemon concentrate can be used as a sugar replacement before bottling for carbonation

???

Run3minman said:
Do you think the lemon concentrate can be used as a sugar replacement before bottling for carbonation

???

It could, but make sure you measure out how much sugar you need based on the nutritional info on the can.

unionrdr said:
Look in mt recipes for "sharie's Summer Shandy. Looking back though,I'd add some lemon zest at 10 minutes left in the boil as well. It's improve the flavor a bit I think.

Can't find your recipes where are they? Maybe it is because I'm on my iPad???

just add lemonade or 7up to your favorite beer and mix it right in the glass.

Can't find your recipes where are they? Maybe it is because I'm on my iPad???

On my Android tablet the recipe database is on the first page went you open HBT app. You can also use your web browser instead of your app

@ Unionrdr. On android app you dont have the recipe drop down under your avarars like on the regular webpage

Good thing you mentioned that. I got a new cell phone that when I apply the plan I want on 5/1,I'll be able to web surf with it. It's a slider phone with the slide out keyboard. Didn't know this.

wouldnt the sugar from the concentrate dry out the beer...? I bet you could brew a 5 gallon batch of a light ale / lager, keg about 4.5 gallons and add lemon concentrate / juice to the keg to taste. Add some sodium metasulphite to kill off the yeast, cold crash and serve.

BradleyBrew said:
wouldnt the sugar from the concentrate dry out the beer...? I bet you could brew a 5 gallon batch of a light ale / lager, keg about 4.5 gallons and add lemon concentrate / juice to the keg to taste. Add some sodium metasulphite to kill off the yeast, cold crash and serve.

What if you want to bottle???

Do you people actually know what a shandy is? It literally is just a lager beer mixed with lemonade, not a specially brewed type of beer.

Well, except sulfite doesn't kill yeast. The cold crashing might make them go dormant, but the sulfite won't do anything at all.

Do you people actually know what a shandy is? It literally is just a lager beer mixed with lemonade, not a specially brewed type of beer.

Sure we do.

But there is a commercial "Shandy" by Leine's that comes already premixed so you just open and pour. I'm not a fan of it (or in Shandy in general) but it's very popular here.

It's nice for brewers who want to make this to make it together in one keg, so they just pour the shandy like that instead of adding lemonade or 7-up to it.

Sure we do.

But there is a commercial "Shandy" by Leine's that comes already premixed so you just open and pour. I'm not a fan of it (or in Shandy in general) but it's very popular here.

It's nice for brewers who want to make this to make it together in one keg, so they just pour the shandy like that instead of adding lemonade or 7-up to it.

So mix the beer and lemonade when you keg/bottle?

The "recipes" for shandy make no sense at all. Its like trying to make a burger and fries in the same pot when the results are far superior when prepared and cooked separately and then combined at serving.

BadMrFrosty said:

There are plenty of breweries that produce shandys. So I guess I do know what a shandy is

So mix the beer and lemonade when you keg/bottle?

The "recipes" for shandy make no sense at all. Its like trying to make a burger and fries in the same pot when the results are far superior when prepared and cooked separately and then combined at serving.

Do you know what burgers and fries are?

The bottle i have states it is used to kill wild yeast?

Indeed, and it does.

But you're not trying to kill wild yeast. You're hoping to kill the cultivated beer yeast, or wine yeast, right? The reason those yeast strains are used by winemakers (and are cultivated) is because they are tolerant, amazingly so, of sulfites.

Winemakers routinely use sulfites in their wine, because wine and ale yeast are not impacted by sulfites.

Now, if you were using sourdough starter, and using that species of yeast or bread yeast, the sulfites probably would kill or at least harm it.

Why make beer at all? You can buy it at the store, and sometimes it's far superior to what you make.

I'm not at all a fan of the commercial shandy offerings (or worse, Bud Light Lime) but the fact that someone wants to do it is for them to decide.

Denigrating it isn't helpful, and my momma taught me that "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all".

So I suggest either providing helpful thoughtful advice, or keeping criticism to yourself. I'm sure that many brewers know that "shandy" isn't going to be considered a great craft offering. But if they want to do it, that's fine.

Indeed, and it does.

But you're not trying to kill wild yeast. You're hoping to kill the cultivated beer yeast, or wine yeast, right? The reason those yeast strains are used by winemakers (and are cultivated) is because they are tolerant, amazingly so, of sulfites.

Winemakers routinely use sulfites in their wine, because wine and ale yeast are not impacted by sulfites.

Now, if you were using sourdough starter, and using that species of yeast or bread yeast, the sulfites probably would kill or at least harm it.

Thanks for the info!

BadMrFrosty said:

If you don't want to brew it, then don't and move along to another thread.

I just made one from a extract kit my LHBS made up. When I get home ill check the ingredients list and post it. AT bottling time it smelled and tasted just like lienne's summer shandy. maybe alittle more watery but still very good. Im waiting to see what the final bottled product tastes like. The only real difference in the kit was they had a small vial of lemonade extract type stuff that i added with the sugar and then racked beer ontop of it in the bottling bucket.

Back