Campden tablets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do a little extra in case i need temperature correction, or topping off

Along these lines, when you use campden tablets what kind of residuals remain? What becomes of the chlorine and chloride? I saw a mention somewhere that they are bound up as sulfites and remain in the beer?

I ask because my wife avoids wines ans meads that are marked as having sulfites because they offer a wicked headache.

Along these lines, when you use campden tablets what kind of residuals remain? What becomes of the chlorine and chloride? I saw a mention somewhere that they are bound up as sulfites and remain in the beer?

I ask because my wife avoids wines ans meads that are marked as having sulfites because they offer a wicked headache.

I've actually been reading a lot about this... Yes the sulfates bind with the chlorine. The chemical reaction creates a small amount of hydrochloric acid that evaporates early in the boil.

I recomend you look into making your own wine/mead. Yes the recipes call for sulfites, or sulfates. But can your wife drink lemon juice without headaches? there is sulfate in that. what about dried fruit? There is a possiblity that her headaches are from commercial products, and home made might not affect her as much.

I add my CRUSHED campden tablet (1/4 tablet per 25 litres), then add my sulphuric acid to counter alkalinity, then I boil water for 15 minutes and let it cool overnight.

1/4 tab in my strike and another 1/4 tab in my sparge water. I don't boil it or add anything else and my beer comes out tasty. I just add it while it heats.

Back