Another Brett-Bug Yeast Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChugachBrewing

Reaction score
Big IPA batch. 40 gallons, split 7 ways.

15 Gallons - Knockout hops at 170deg for 20 min was Phoenix.
25 Gallons - Knockout hops at 170deg for 20 min was Comet.

Comet knockouts - WLP655, ECY03, ECY04, coolship yeast, and Jester King slurry.

Phoenix knockouts - ECY01 and ECY 09 ( realize this is not particularly funky)

Each batch will then be dry hopped differently with 2-3 different varieties.

Prost!

2013-04-07 13.49.32.jpg

2013-04-07 13.49.48.jpg

2013-04-04 17.41.07.jpg

2013-04-04 17.45.49.jpg

2013-04-05 17.21.04.jpg

it makes a rabbit look like a sloth. very hoppy. Its more of an experiment in how yeast are affected by hops and what flavors are produced when they are hindered. Hadn't done it yet, so why not?

please keep up updated on your results. common wisdom is that you don't go hoppy with bugs since it inhibits their growth. you can either confirm this, or provide at least one exception.

if you do get some souring action, be sure to keep those bugs - they're some seriously hardy survivors!

I realize that completely and have a lot of experience with sour brews. I'm just curious what will happen. So far 4/7 are tasting great, with one really good. I don't remember since I tested a month ago and was somewhat... in for the night. I'll post next time.

Only 2/7 have bacteria and both of those have pediococcus which isn't really concerned with hop acids. Pedio can certainly sour a hoppy beer, and I bet overtime, lacto can sour just fine in a higher IBU beer. Its just a case of selective pressures, and adaptation to the environment. You would have to gradually increase the hops for this to work which would build its hop acid tolerance.

Did a small tasting the other night. Its amazing the different flavors coming from each yeast, some seem less hindered by the hops than others.

Well, did more of an extensive tasting last night, all side by side. Not a lot of difference noted this time in regards to sourness/funk. The 655 had the most interesting 'yeast' flavors, a tiny bit of sourness, and a slight grapefruity funkiness to it, but it was subtle, especially when compared to the hops. The rest were somewhat grassy or earthy. They will make wonderful IPAs after I dry hop, but as for the amount of sourness I normally get from these yeasts, it was not there.

Needless to say, I didn't have my hope set very high on this one, being that hops and 'wild brews' don't tend to work together as much. Fun to play though.

They're all finally on draft. Hopped with wet ones from my garden. So far 655 tastes the best and has the most funk. They're settling so I'm gonna give it a week before I officially give results, but as expected there isn't a lot of funk. :)

Back