London ale yeast, clumpy starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
I'm using a white labs London ale yeast to make a starter. Never used this strain before. Today, after a full day on the stir plate, there are lots of clumps spinning around in the flask. Is this normal for this yeast?

image-313320619.jpg

I haven't used that particular yeast but English strains in general tend to be clumpy like that, so my guess is that's it totally normal.

sweet, thanks guys! Did not want to pitch this funky looking thing into my brew without knowing:mug:

That looks a lot like Weast 1968 London ESB. I call it my "cottage cheese yeast".

You can start these high flocculators on the cool end of their range, but be careful to not leave it there too long or it will want to drop out before the job is complete. After a couple of days, I'd ease it up into the 65-66*F range and then give it a d-rest (yes, they will produce diacetyl) at 68-69*F for a few days before cold crashing.

This stuff will produce a very compact and firm yeast cake.

Latest posts

Back