need help with pid!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegoiltycoon

Reaction score
I just bought 2 Sestos temp controllers with 25A ssr's and 4 Sestos Twin timers. Want to know how i can set them up. I want one temp controller on each heater. I want the timers to control the timing on the heaters and on the two circulation pumps.

You need to post a lot more details on the equipment you have, models etc, before anyone can help. A basic block diagram of what you are trying to achieve, at minimum.

Okay, i (biodiesel guy) need to lean on the expertise of you home brewer guys. Our guys don't even know about PID yet! I have a 200 gal conical tank that circulates bottom to top. It has a 1/2hp pump and flows through an external steel box that contains a 5500 watt heater. I also use a 55gal drum that circulates oil through a 5500 watt heater fed by a 1/2hp heater into a small centrifuge. I bought 2 Sestos temp controllers and 2 Sestos dual timers. My goal for these pids is to control temps and use the timers as a simple on/off for the pumps and shut everything down after two hours of mixing in the 200 gal tank. In the 55 gal centrifuge tank after 6 hours. Is this possible? Like i said, you guys are light years ahead of us and i want to be among the first to do it!

The best place to pose this question is in the electric brewing sub-forum.

I'm not sure how many folks around here use the brand/model of PID you have. Most have the Auberin models on their rigs.

I don't mean to be an a..hole here, but you will need some expertise in electricity before you can attempt this. You will need to dig your controller's manuals to see if it does what you need. There are many different models of Sestos controllers. You also need to be aware that you can't switch the load (motors and heaters) directly with your controller or timer. You will need high current drivers like a SSR or contactor and know how to hook then up. Programming the controllers are the last thing you should worry about.
Another thing you may need is a flow switch, which will be placed in the liquid flow lione so it shuts down the heater in case flow is below a minimum. My 2c.

The timers can definately be used to turn off/on the pumps. I don't remember how many amps the timer signal allows but I'm sure it's not a whole lot. There are a lot of settings in the timer that were required to get it to work properly.

Well, thx anyway. I realize that being biodiesel this project may be out of your normal parameters. I do have a few SSR's for 25A and 40A. The flow switch does seem like a good idea. But i totally believe there's gotta be someone on this forum that can picture what i need to accomplish and offer some assistance. And for the record I don't think not having the answer makes that gentleman an A hole.

Can you search through the forums for a diagram that kind of gets you close? Ignore the type of pids and timers they use. But if you get that much figured out, I am sure people can help with the rest. Like I said I can help wit the timers but I know nothing about the pids

Thank you,sir. I've searched high and low with little success. With my Sestos timers, I'm thinking i can operate a relay to time my pumps. With the other output would it be better to wire it directly into the temp controller or have a relay or switch between the temp controller and it's power source to kill power to it? And which pin would i wire into on the Sestos D1S?

Just looking at the manual for the pid, I would think the wiring should look something like this for the d1s-vr model

image-1568475807.jpg

Someone can let me know if I'm way off

I can post the layout of the timer later, since I'm Atwood now, but if you check out my build thread you can see how the sestos timer is hooked up

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/need-help-designing-electric-brew-rig-337509/

It's the very last post on that thread that has my final wiring diagram. I can try an help with the total wiring diagram if you give a complete description of how it all is going to work

I like the diagram (mostly because i can understand it), but i don't see where you are tying in the B2E. Is it coming into terminal 3?

Latest posts

Back