Small Saison mash temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badlee

Reaction score
I am planning a small saison with an OG of about 1035-1040.
I will be fermenting with re-cultured Dupont yeast.
The grist will contains some strange things(for a saison) like flaked triticale and acidulated malt. Also some maple syrup, about 10-15%.
My question goes like this: saisons tend to use a low mash temp,but with me using some simple sugar and supposedly low attenuating(70%) Dupont yeast, what temp should I be looking at? Should I just go with 67c?
Cheers,Lee:mug:

DuPont is not a low attenuating yeast. I've had a 1.070 OG saison without any sugar that was mashed at 149F go down to 1.006 with the Wyeast DuPont strain. To keep some body with such a low OG I would mash at 154F. Pitch the yeast in the low 70F's and raise it up to the upper 80F's or lower 90F's. You'll probably get an FG around 1.005. Sorry, I don't do Celsius.

Sweet,no worries,thanks.
It's not Wyeast but, it's recultured from bottles of Saison Dupont.

I am planning a small saison with an OG of about 1035-1040.
I will be fermenting with re-cultured Dupont yeast.
The grist will contains some strange things(for a saison) like flaked triticale and acidulated malt. Also some maple syrup, about 10-15%.
My question goes like this: saisons tend to use a low mash temp,but with me using some simple sugar and supposedly low attenuating(70%) Dupont yeast, what temp should I be looking at? Should I just go with 67c?
Cheers,Lee:mug:

You will end up with an ultra alcoholic beer that is probably at or near 1.000 with all that sugar. Do you bottle condition? There's another 2-5% of sugar as well you'll be introducing to prime.

Mashing at 67 is fine. The yeast will ferment it anyway.

Having just made one that was too dry, learn from my mistakes:
Skip all simple sugars -- including syrup.
Go all malt
Add something for body. Perhaps a touch of flaked oats (3%), or some caramel malt.
Don't get too wonky with the ingredients. Its a lot easier to screw up a simple beer because there's nothing to hide behind.
Reserve some of the freshly boiled work (2-2.5 liters) and freeze. Use that wort to prime your bottles with.
Keep the IBUs in check particularly if you have high sulfate water. Little dry beer + bitter = ass.

How's this?
75% Maris Otter
13% flaked Tritical
8% crystal 75
5% acidulated malt

two hop additions. 60mins 10gr of Glacier, 30 mins 15gr of glacier. Total 25 IBUs

To those of you saying dryness in a saison is not desirable...what planet are you from? A saison finishing at 1.004 is PERFECT!

I would mash low and lose the crystal malt. I just did a saison even smaller than yours (1.025 OG), and did a step mash to maximize fermentablity. It finished at 1.002 and has plenty of body. Just needs to be carbed to 3 volumes or so. Saison yeasts throw out glycerol, which maintains body and mouthfeel at bone dry FGs.

To those of you saying dryness in a saison is not desirable...what planet are you from? A saison finishing at 1.004 is PERFECT!

I would mash low and lose the crystal malt. I just did a saison even smaller than yours (1.025 OG), and did a step mash to maximize fermentablity. It finished at 1.002 and has plenty of body. Just needs to be carbed to 3 volumes or so. Saison yeasts throw out glycerol, which maintains body and mouthfeel at bone dry FGs.

Some yeasts produce some glycerol, which sometimes is evident in the finished beer. That's more appropriate than a blanket statement.

I brewed the following Saison 5 weeks ago with an OG of 1.038 and a FG of 1.004 and it turned out dry and delicious using Wyeast 3711 (French Saison).

Mashed at 157.

MALT
WEYERMANN ORGANIC PILSEN (47%) = 1.94 LBS
GREAT WESTERN ORGANIC 2-ROW (37%) = 1.51 LBS
WEYERMANN ORGANIC WHEAT (13%) = .55 LBS
WEYERMANN ORGANIC CARAMUNICH II (3%) = .14 LBS

HOPS
EKG 60 MIN. 5.4%AA 13 IBU = .52 OZ
CZECH SAAZ 10 MIN. 2.5%AA 2 IBU = .33 OZ
CZECH SAAZ WHIRLPOOL 2.5%AA 3 IBU = .75 OZ
CZECH SAAZ DRY HOP 2.5%AA 0 IBU = 2.00 OZ

Sounds pretty cool man, just wondering how much the syrup will cost ya? It's about $8 for 250 grams here in Aussie and it's not even the real deal - made partially from concentrated Canadian syrup.

I have a litre of it my mate brought over from his family in Canada the other day. So fresh, it was literally just harvested last week. Sweet!

Back